Hippies

Posted , 13 users are following.

Whomever came up with this very descriptive word for us is to be commended.  Although I was called a Hippie many times in the 60’s, this seems more meaningful.  The big difference is that back then I had no desire to quit the drugs and now I can’t wait to get away from them.

6 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well that made me chuckle ..... I don't get on here so much now (almost a week of cold turkey from Patient Info).

I remember the 60's well, and like you after my THR and revision couldn't wait to get off the drugs, especially Tramadol which I seemed to develop a dependency on, craving the next dose just before it was due.

• Posted

Much better to be the NEW HIPPIE with no pain. It is interesting about the desire to be off drugs at our age.
  • Posted

Know the feeling mate looks like I'm on pain killers for life but as long they work I'm fine good luck

• Posted

tee hee......... so agree with you! ......
  • Posted

Hi Ducksoup

Yes, I remember the good old hippie days and unfortunately now I am one of the hippy group with several hip replacements.  Same as you, dont want drugs if I can help it.

• Posted

Husband refers to me as his bionic woman, someone who looks nothing like bionic woman.

Gets some funny looks from strangers when they do not understand what he is talking about.

?But the rest of us hippies understand only too well.

I don't think anybody who has not undergone the osteoarthritis and then been fobbed off by the Dr's as everything but what is really was, the relief, even if it did not relive the pain to find out what it really was, and finally the clever surgeon who took away all of that pain, only the healing pain to get through.

?And for the hippies who are still caught in the middle, it does get better.

?From a double hippie, who has just been told this last weekend, after a minor accident, my knees are also in need of a replacement as well, tell me what I didn't already know, looking forward to being treated before it gets tooo much the worse I HOPE.

?Like my regular GP told me, about a year ago, but not bad enough yet, bad news and good news, your knees are shot, and you know what to expect, that's the good news????, I said.

• Posted

Well this has so cheered me up, as a 64 year old who had pubs of my own and managed and worked in bars for many years in the 70s,80s and 90s I was forever stopping people's fun only to find after my 1st hip replacement last July that Oxycodene became my best friend I had to go cold turkey in the end much to my daughter's disgust. I've had my pre Op and I'm now patiently for my next Op date and looking forward to meeting up with Oxy again this time for a much shorter time hopefully.

• Posted

In a past life I dated a pharmacist who was also a masseuse who was also strung out on oxys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.