Hippy birthday!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I can't believe where the time has gone. This time 3 years ago on 3rd January I was a terrified wreck waiting in hospital for my RTHR. As I was the youngest on the list they left me until the last... 4.00 in the afternoon.

Now here I am and it's all a distant memory. I've got my life back. I'm not taking any medication, have no pain, my legs are the same length, I'm back to enjoying riding my horse and have just been for a long walk and pub lunch with a friend.

So to those of you still waiting for the op there is light at the end of the tunnel. It will soon be over and hopefully, like me, you'll wonder why you were so worried.

So HIPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU All!!!!

8 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hippy28,

This is such a beautiful and positive post. Thank you so much for sharing this with us here. The idea behind designing and making artificial joint replacement was to take the patient/recipient back to their normal painless everyday living no matter how (physically) active they are.

But sometimes we focus so much on the pain and worries and coming across posts like yours becomes refreshing, heartwarming and inspiring.

Hope you enjoy your life even more in 2020! πŸ˜ƒ

Peace,

Bx

• Posted

Hi Hippy28

A little behind you I am just three days from my THR first birthday and have almost forgotten I was ever in pain walking with a bad limp and virtually immobile. My life was totally effected as I couldn't even book a holiday without considering the terrain of the resort. One year on and I have had my life back for at least 9 months and am so pleased I decided to have the op. I was concerned like most people and was putting it off until one day I met someone who had a double replacement 12 weeks prior to me meeting them and they were walking like new. I am so glad I took that decision as all the aches and pains I had in my knees and my limp have all disappeared. I best give my surgeon a thank you as he was just the best. Mr Hugh Apthorp who did my operation at The Spire in Hastings Sussex UK. Thank you.

• Posted

That's interesting that you're in Hastings. I live in Bexhill and had mine done at the Conquest. My surgeon was Mr. Keast Butler. He was brilliant.

• Posted

Mr Apthorp replaced both my hips over a 6 month period 18 months - 2 years ago. Did an amazing job. I forget the pain I was in now. If we are anything to go by he must have quite a fanclub.

Strongly recommend the Horder Centre in Crowborough if you are in Sussex/Kent.

• Posted

I read somewhere that you are better off being later in the day as the surgeon has had time to warm up on doing the op!

• Posted

Happy hippy birthday! It's good to hear how well you're doing, and I'm pleased that you're back on your horse! I remember your early posts, I had my op a few months before you, and from the first few steps post op, I've never looked back. Here's hoping our hips last a nice long time!

Wishing you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Good to hear that you're doing well also. It's certainly a brilliant op and well worth having.

Here's to many more happy hippy birthdays. 😊

• Posted

Good for you honey and have a very Happy New Year πŸ˜‰πŸŽ‰πŸΈπŸŽŠ!

• Posted

So refreshing to hear such a positive outcome! I am booking my surgery tomorrow and I have been on the fence for so long, but I have been limping for 4+ years and struggling keeping up with a regular exercise regimen, going up and down stairs, getting out of cars, terrible stiffness, I am sure you are familiar with all this, so here goes and again I love seeing such a positive post!

• Posted

Thank you for such a wonderfully positive post. πŸ˜ƒ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.