Hirsutism (excess hair growth) causing sore boils

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS around 6 years ago , I’m lucky enough to be blessed with all the symptoms,  Irregular periods, bad skin, gain weight easily but the worst side effect has to be the hair growth. I have it EVERYWHERE and it’s really starting to get me down sad I got laser hair removal on my face and neck 2 years ago which helped for a while , once I had stopped I found myself having to shave my face every morning before it started to grow back before the day was even up. I’ve recently started it again, on my 6th treatment now with no sign of it going away. 

The face and neck I can deal with shaving everyday but the problem is the hair on my thighs & pubic area.. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago (which is meant to help with side effects - didn’t ) so I have a lot of stretch marks and loose skin at the tops of my thighs. Not even 12 hours after I shave these I can feel stubble teamed with red bumps , some filled with puss. I’ve currently got two boils right on my bikini line from an ingrown hair which is so painful to even walk as they are constantly rubbing. I have tried waxing which keeps them away for longer but again I face the unsightly red bumps when they come back. sad I know this isn’t a “serious” medical issue for some , but for me it is serious. I suffer with anxiety & it’s stopping me from doing so much , I make excuses not to go on holiday with my friends, I’m afraid to get close to a man in fear of having to take my clothes off & dread what they will think, would never dare go swimming, would love to go travelling but couldn’t go anywhere warm that you would need to wear shorts / skirts. I know “caring what people think” shouldn’t be an issue , but for me it is. As I write this I’m sitting crying thinking about how life would be so much easier and so much more care free I would be if I wasn’t living with this sad 

I have explained this to my gp who prescribes me with a new contraceptive pill in hopes I will go away , I just feel like they don’t care about problems like this. I’m currently on dianette & have been for over a year, which no change in hair growth. My blood tests have shown my hormone prolactin is too high so I was referred to an endocrinologist who basically told me there was nothing they could do unless I was wanting to conceive. I just feel like I’m banging my head against a wall. I obviously have serious hormonal imbalances , if they could just give me some guidance as to how / what to take to get my hormones under control I would maybe have a better chance of dealing with this. 

From doing my own research I’ve found that spironolactone seems to be a popular medication to take for hirsutism... has anyone ever used it? To me things like this are really just masking the problem but I am literally desperate to try anything that will help sad I’ve considered buying a home IPL machine to use on my thighs as I’d be too embarrassed to go to a clinic for that. It’s just to expensive ... agh so frustrating sad I’m a 25 year old girl who should be out enjoying life to the full and here I am on a Saturday night spending hours reading through forums in hope of finding something that will give me light at the end of the tunnel. Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated. 

Realising I have completely went on a rant which people probs aren’t going to read .... oops 😔

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Courtney. 

i read all your post and do sympathise. 

I dont have a solution for you but do know that processed food can contain elements to avoid I.e. Soya, sugar etc. 

After you wax there are things like breakout control which eliminates the bacteria that causes boils 

Hope someone finds a full solution for you a solution is out there you just have to find it. 

• Posted

I read your rant and I really empathize. Unsightly hair is the worst part of PCOS and hormonal imbalances for me too. 

Exfoliating the skin before waxing can help with the bumps. There´s also a product on Amazon called Tend Skin that most women swear by for bumps and ingrown hairs. If they do become boils (I have boils frequently, it sucks) you´re going to need an antibiotic ointment. Applying heat compresses helps too. And remember that if they get too bad you´re probably going to need oral antibiotics because boils are caused by staphylococcus aureus, which is a bacteria that lives naturally on our skin. I don´t know if they sell it where you live but there´s an ointment called sulfur ointment that heals my boils quickly and it´s super cheap. 

I don´t know about spironolactone because prolactin is not one of my issues, but I´m giving Vitex a try because I heard it helps with hormonal imbalances too. Spearmint tea is supposedly very helpful for hirsutism too, although I´ve never been constant in drinking it. I really should. 

There´s also a natural system called Insulite Health that uses diet, exercise, and supplements to treat PCOS. I can´t afford it but I´ve heard it has great results in dealing with all symptoms of PCOS including hirsutism.

I hope some of this helps!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.