histamine Intolerance

Posted , 5 users are following.

looking back over my medical history I think I always had a histamine intolerance. Allergy to plasters, penicillins, prickly heat, migraines, and so many other niggly complaints. Last September got one and only urine infection. On antibiotics, cleared it, but left me with a painful constant irritated bladder. Had ibs symptoms for yrs could never find solution. Had anaemia in April. So given 5 B12 injections which caused a very severe reaction resulting in massive histamine overload. Huge welts every day, constant blocked up sinuses,irritated intestines and bladder, insomnia. Driving me mental. On 180mg fexofenadine 2 times daily for the hives and 160mg ranitidine 2 times daily for constant acid reflux caused by the histamine being released in the stomach constantly. Peeing all the time because of bladder irritation. Now 10 weeks on, no difference! So frustrating and now making me tearful and angry I had those injections. On low histamine diet and stray one teeny bit all the symptoms just gush back up. No relief at all.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know this with my daughter. She is only twelve. She also has a histamine low / free diet. It started flaring up three weeks ago. It is has been a nigtmare for four years. Sometimes you don't know if choices you make are good or bad.

Kind regards,

Nicole

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

It is so difficult to know what to do. Difficult to know what or if any food causes more problems.  It has never gone away and is driving me nuts.

• Posted

For 2 days now...NO ITCH!!!!!    EVERYONE READ....THIS WORKS!!!! Hello all, I am new to the site as far as contributing but have been reading posts for a few months now. I have had hives for almost 6 months now and as all of you know, it is worse than horrible. I have been to my GP, Dermatologist, Urgent care twice and 1 trip to ER in search of answers or at least some relief. I have been unable to sleep during this entire thing except for an hour or 2 here and there. Until last night. A few days ago I read a post from "hives and thyroid" about her cocktail which she swears works. Yesterday I go to the Allergist still looking for answers and my main concern I will be off my 5th round of steroids since January, and I know it will come back very strong. After talking a while she changed my antihistamine to Doxepin. Hmmm, that sounds familiar...I went home and read the post again and yes, it is one of the drugs that worked for her. Singular I am already on. Thats 2 of the 3!!! The other is Zantac..over the counter. I picked up a box and went home and made my cocktail....Singulair 10 mg. Doxepin 25mg. and Zantac 150 mg. I KID YOU NOT GUYS...MY ITCHING STOPPED WITHIN AN HOUR. TODAY ALMOST 24 HOURS LATER, STILL NO ITCH!!!! The hives are slowly fading as well but they dont itch!! It seems that the combination of these drugs hits all the H1/H2 receptor sites to stop the histamine from being released into the body. The Zantac hits the receptor site H2 which it seems the other antihistamines do not. Zantac, who knew??? I feel like a new person. What a relief. Talk to your doctors and get these 3 meds!!!!! I will keep you posted on my progress...Now to find the cause of it   .btw...Zantac (ranitidine) was first developed to be a histamine antagonist, hence it's use, along with other antihistamines, for hives. Good luck everyone, I know you are all as desperate as I am
  • Posted

hi chrissy95586,

I'm sensitive to histamine as well and I got recommended the dietary supplement called Daosin!

I'll take it right before I eat sth histamine rich or low. It avoids the allergic reaction within my body smile I'm really happy with it. I bought a package with 60 pills and it's enought for 2 month.

I would give it a try smile

• Posted

Hi Alex

I have daosin and use it, but at the moment it is not making any difference at all.  The allergy is just rushing around my body all the time without let up.

• Posted

Hi Chrissy. I have just posted on the chronic urticaria thread, but this is really more what I have- well they are linked conditions anyway. Have hope. I have had 18 months of feeling terrible with bad  itching, feeling puffed up, strange broken sleep and mega flare ups on eating certain things eg smoked salmon, any alcohol - or for no apparent reason.I was feeling really low with it and on high dose antihistamines and intermittent steroids. With doctors just ' not getting it' , putting it down to eczema which I knew it wasn't.I tried the strict low histamine regime for 6 weeks with little success- I kept a food diary. Then I discovered a diet online which promotes an anti inflammatory diet.low grain ,no dairy ,low sugar. Loads of veg to heal you up, then when you're better you can relax it a little according to what works for you. I have been doing it a month and I have been amazed at how much better I feel. I can cope!! I feel pretty well normal.my skin is clear.Sleeping the best I have slept for 2 years. I dont take supplements. I have taken up yoga . Life is so much better. I urge you to have a read around and hopefully that or a similar one will help you too.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.