Histamine reaction when stopping omeprazole/prilosec

Posted , 3 users are following.

has anyone else experienced a histamine when stopping a ppi? i tapered off it a month ago with minimal rebound, but since i began tapering i have been suffering with itching all over my body and a face rash has developed. i started it in october for a stomach ulcer which i think has now pretty much healed- still getting some digestive symptoms but nothing like what i was. just can't stop itching and can't get this rash under control!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I experienced a mild itching and rash when I started omeprazole. However, this reaction gradually subsided as I got used to the medication. This is a known side effect of the drug. I came off omeprazole cold turkey with no rebound and no itching or rash.

Try coming off omeprazole completely first of all to see if the reactions subside but speak to your doctor if these reactions continue and ask for a topical cream to ease the itch and rash.

• Posted

I have been off it completely now for a month- sorry that wasnt very clear from my op! and still itch and rash remain- dr is convinced theyre unrelated to omeprazole but seems too much of a coincidence seeing as both literally began overnight when i started the tapering process. I guess if its a symptom of the drug, it could also be a side effect of the withdrawal?

• Posted

I have been cutting down my ppis and I have been noticing a lot more allergy rashes! I never put the 2 things together though. Try taking the tablets again and see if your rashes clear up, it is the only way to tell if that is what is causing it.

• Posted

That's a good idea - although honestly i had such nasty side effects being on them (awful cramps, completely unable to digest any protein) that i'm super reluctant to go anywhere near them again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.