histamines the problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yes, last month I was taking 4 benadryls to stop the itching, and it helped.  Also helped me sleep, but the drs told me I cant take them due to bp.  It didn't help with the severe depression.  Last week I put myself on sam-e and st johns wort, and its already made me feel much better.  Didn't tell the dr cuz I figured there would be some reason not to take that.  Any feedback on that?  I read there can be interactions, but don't want to give it up.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

tracey49491...One must be careful when taking OTC's...a lot of people believe them to be harmless which they are in many ways, but they can also do a lot of damage...especially if one is taking bp medications. The dosage of an OTC or the ingredients in it can cause the bp to rise.; which isn't something you want. I truly hope you didn't start taking the Benadryls again especially after what your doctor told you. If you ever want to know if an OTC or herbal remedy will clash with your bp medication or not, consult a Pharmacist. They are the pros when it comes to medications. Even with a bad cold, they can suggest something you take but doesn't clash with the bp meds.

• Posted

Get another opinion on the benadryl. I'm not saying to take it but my husband is on a beta blocker after having a heart attack 15 years ago and he has taken benadryl for over 30 years every single night to sleep. He has never had a Dr. tell him not to take it with his meds. He is on a few meds believe me. One of them is a beta blocker. Second opinion and I agree, ask a pharmacist. I got off the beta blocker, I was so miserable. I had insomnia, ithcing, burning and major depression while on it. That crap is bad for my body. I do have histamine intolerance and will never take that again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.