Hitting a brick wall - am I ACTUALLY just paranoid/hypochondriac?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have, this morning, had an incredibly frustrating discussion with a new doctor. I moved house and registered at a new doctor. Going in this morning feeling determined to get some more info on all this I mentioned previous results (antobodies high, TSH around 4, T4 near bottom of reference range). I said I didn't understand why first I was tested because I had the symptoms, then the antibody result suggests something is going on..... but apparently I am fine and that is NOT causing my symptoms.

I was told all of my symptoms are stress. Even the more tangible physical ones. When I said it seemed like a mighty co-incidence that all my "stress" symptoms are the same as a thyroid disorder and the test shows I have raised antibodies and what many would consider a higher than ideal TSH according to my reading.... there was little more than a shrug. Apparently, for example, I am probably thinning my own eyebrows with overzealous use of a brow pencil (I use a brow kit with powder and brush to fill in my sparse excuses for eyebrows....)

In the end we are re-testing, but honestly, I was made to feel so small I wanted to cry. Except I didn't because that would just strengthen the argument I am stressed and depressed and/or making things up. I was also told if I had a goitre they would be able to see it..... no exam nothing.... although I mentioned I cough almost every morning.

So, if once again I am just told I am "in the normal range" - where do I go from here? Can you push for referrals based on the results I am getting? Surely if a doctor won't refer you then you are stuck unless you can pay a private doctor? I don't want to be put on unnecessary treatment, but I would like some kind of discussion on what may be going on. Feeling very discouraged.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Doctors are so useless with these conditions sometimes. If you are still suffering these symptoms ask to be referred to an endocrinologist. They know much more about it.

Also not everyone has a goitre (I didn't) so they can't rule it out just because of this. Also it is possible to be within range and still not right. The ranges are quite broad and some peoples levels need to be at the top of the range in order to feel well

Keep pushing and change doctors if they don't listen. They are not experts in this area and often go off blood results alone.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hello C, you aren't a hypochondriac. Please through the posts on this site to see that difficulty with diagnosis is a typical first step in thyroid disease. I'll give you a summary here.

Many people with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism do not show hugely elevated TSH. A level of anything above 2 is concerning! I was completely out of it at a TSH of 2.5. Rest assured you aren't a hypochondriac and you aren't crazy.

However, my experience was that none of the meds worked well enough for me to function properly, and from reading posts on this site, most people go through years of suffering before they're able to get significant relief. Many people have had success with dietary changes and supplements, especially for newer cases.

NOW, it's important to understand that thyroid disease is slow to heal. Even the meds take a full three months yo be fully effective, making dosing extremely difficult. So be committed if you're doing dietary changes. On the upside, sometimes we do get signs in only a few days that what we're doing is working. This is a godsend with thyroid disease.

It takes months or even years or decades to get a proper diagnosis. In the meanwhile, there's a lot you can do.

My best recommendation is to do a little detective work and a ton of reading on thyroid disease to see if you find anything you feel will help you head off this disease.

There are many contributing factors to thyroid disease including stress, chemical exposure, inadequate protein consumption, mercury exposure, so many others.

Read everything you can, look at your lifestyle and diet. Find what your causes are and correct what you can.

• Posted

Hi, you arent paranoid and youre only stressed because your doc isnt listening to you. I can relate to your frustrations. I got huge amounts of advice on thyroid uks website, way more than I can offer you. I was eventually referred to an endocrinologist when I asked for t3 instead of the t4 meds I was taking. Luckily my gp was ok to make the referral and I was duly prescribed t3 by the endocrinologist. I Feel so much better......I feel 20 years younger. Try writing down how you feel and reading it back to your new doc. Just Ask for a referral to a consultant. Keep us posted and keep pushing for better treatment.....it is available to those who shout the loudest! Xx
  • Posted

I have no thyroid....and sometimes my antibodies are elevated....and I just wait three months and retest. Every single time, they return to normal.

If your blood work is all within the normal range, what would be the stated reasin for the referral?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.