HIV from sharing drink

Posted , 7 users are following.

2 days ago whilst very drunk I got offered a sip of a drink outside a club from a guy I'd been talking to. I had a single sip and my lips did not come in contact with the bottle itself. 5 minutes later I was informed by the bouncer that the man was HIV positive. Is it possible that I will have gotten the disease? There are no visible cuts in my mouth

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Did the bouncer just say this to you as a cruel joke? 

HIV is not spread by sharing drinks. There is a lot of information about myths on HIV transmission on hiv.gov

Only certain bodily fluids transmit the virus - blood, semen, vaginal fluids etc. Most commonly it is spread through sexual behaviors and needle/syringe use.

• Posted

Can't imagine he had much of a clue but it definitely made me and my two mates who were in the same boat panic a bit haha. I get regular full check ups here at work anyway so I'll get one done but nice to have the peace of mind that at least I don't have hiv now 😅 think the guy was known locally for being registered as HIV positive

• Posted

I would have panicked as well, even if it was a joke.

If the guy knew he was HIV+ (even though you can't get the virus from drink sharing), you'd think he'd be extra cautious with his bodily fluids around people. But I can only assume he's on suppression medication.

• Posted

No risk at all for hiv. The risks for hiv are unprotected anal, vaginal and oral (very low risk) sex; blood transfusion and needle sharing; and from mother to child by birth or breast feeding if the mother is hiv positive.
  • Posted

Yoo cheers team. Definitely some peace of mind
  • Posted

go and get your f*****g education please!!!
    • Posted

Is there any need to be rude? Not everyone is lucky enough to be educated in sexual health
    • Posted

Ok, I apologize. Sorry for my words and what annoyed me is this kind of question should be educated since childhood. 

There are many hiv positive people living in the world, we should kill the stigmas. The best way is always education. 

If “hiv can pass by sharing drink” this kind of thought cannot be removed, it is a kind of discrimination for all hiv positive people. 

But you are right, I am really sorry for my bed and rude words. 

Apologies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.