hiv vaginal fluid

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have encountered a recent sexual exposure (foreplay and masturbation only) recently. She applied water based lubricant inside her vagina . After few minutes, she used the same finger (the finger she used to apply lubricant on her vagina) to touch my penis head for few minutes for hand job.  Her hand would have became dry (as she touched my penis forehead and urethra after 5 minutes )

My questions are: 

1. does this pose a risk for hiv as she her vaginal fluid present hand touched my penis head (I'm NOT circumcised)?

2. In general, whether the vaginal fluids always be present in the vagina all the time, even if she is not excited or even before having her dress removed? If that is the case, she might have got her vaginal fluids by touching her vagina (unexcited and five minutes before she gave masturbation). Because she touched her vagina only once (to be specific only one time before starting our acts) during the complete act. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am guessing that the woman was a sex worker?

Overall the risk of any infection from this is pretty low [though theoretically possible]

If you are in UK then the risk is negligible I think.  HIV/AIDS is - despite all the hype - pretty rare in the hetrosexual community.  A recent Guardian article suggested 130000 of which half are men who have sex with men and another high risk group is men and women from sub-saharan Africa.  Sex workers will also - I'd guess - monitor their sexual health at clinic so as not to jeopadise their livelihood! 

If you are not in the UK then the advice is much the same without the specifics but overall please do not worry too much

• Posted

Thanks you. I apppreciate your response. Yes, the woman was a sex worker in the Netherlands. I try to relaxx myself by assuming it as negligible risk. Thanks for the calming and informative answer. 
    • Posted

I would refer to all the other answers and would guess that in Netherlans the sexual hygiene of sex workers is high
    • Posted

Thank you very much. I'm relieved with all your answers.  I'll  also get tested 3 to 4 weeks after my exposure for complete relaxation. 
  • Posted

1. Very unlikely. The HIV virus is actually quite fragile, and doesn't live for long outside the body, especially if the fluid has dried. Once exposed to air, it dies quickly. It is actually relatively hard to transmit HIV (not a reason to be careless, but a fact), especially through the penis.

2. Vaginal fluids are always present. The vagina self-cleans with discharge at all times. Higher quantities are expelled when aroused.

If you are concerned, please get tested. You should be tested if you are having new partners anyway! Chlamydia/gonorrhea tests are accurate 2 weeks after the sexual encounter. HIV DUO is accurate after about 4 weeks, though a 3-month confirmation is recommended. Make testing a normal routine for your health, unless you are in a monogamous relationship with both partners already tested.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your clear answer. I was pretty sure that her hand became dry while touching my penis, mainly because 1. she touched my penis only after 5 to 6 minutes after she used her hand to apply lube into her vagina. 2. Also, during those 5 minutes, she touched my shirt few times and the bed cloth sometime which I think would have made her hand (fingers) dry from the fluids. My only worry is that though she kind of wiped her fingers over my cloth or bed cloth, would the hiv be present in her finger after all these? Because I read few hours ago somewhere that HIV can live upto several hours in the dried semen. This is the concern for me. That is why I asked whether infectious vaginal fluids will always be present in her vagina. And from you answer 'yes', then will that be transfered into her hands by just applying lube there for about 10 seconds?

For more info, I would like to say that she seemed to clean her vagina after every sexual act with some water and dry it with tissue papers. If that is the case, would still be the infectious vaginal fluids present in her vagina?  Sorry for my stupid questions. I wanted to make sure I was not at risk by taking suggestions/help from you. Thanks.

• Posted

Even if it was still present (and it wasn't), there is no way you'd get HIV from that. Most people who've been working in this field a long time would go as far as to say this was a zero-risk esituation, at least for HIV. It won't live on fabrics, and even if it did, it would need a pathway into your body. Unless you use your shirt as a urethral sound, there's no way that's gonna happen! This is why hetero men have a lower risk -- the penis is fairly well protected from penetration, and HIV is a surprisingly delicate virus.

At any rate, cleaning the vagina is of no help in preventing STD's. But that's a concern *she* should know about -- it's not so relevant to you.

I'll put it this way. If you got HIV from something like this, you would probably be the first case ever reported of this type of transmission in the history of the disease.

Think of how many times you've sat on a toilet seat, which inevitably come into contact with someone's fluids eventually. Yet, no one has ever caught HIV this way.

However, regular testing is still always a good idea, if for no other reason than to get yourself into the habit. I get tested after every partner, even though I always use condoms unless we are both tested and monogamous. But when you do, accept your results -- which, at least regarding HIV, will almost certainly be negative if this was your sole risk.

• Posted

Thanks again for your answer and time. I understand that it doesn't live on fabrics and die soon if the vaginal fluid is exposed to air. However, just for my knowledge and clarifying my doubts, whether touching the penis forehead with a hand that was exposed to vaginal fluids few seconds ago woudn't be a risk ?  (I mean the hand that contains vanginal fluid or the hand that touched the vagina few seconds before touching the penis). Because, the vaginal fluid is fresh enough and the time is too little for the virus to die.  I wouldn't disturb further with my questions. thanks a lot.
  • Posted

Hi, the encounter you mentioned is a very low risk for HIV (if any risk at all). The virus is frail and dies quickly when in contact with the air. On the external skin of the body, the live virus would need to be introduced into the blood stream through an opening in the skin. However, if you continue to worry be tested 90 days post contact to be sure. Ask your Doctor's opinion on this as well.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. To clear uo my worries and in general, I'll gte tested as well after 4 weeks of exposure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.