Hives and Pelvic pain 13 days post op partial Hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery 13 days ago. About 4 days I woke up felt like I had a UTI or Kidney infection she called in some Cipro. Started taking it and the next day woke up in hives on hands and feet. The next same thing but now every time I wipe it irritate my private and a pain starts shooting up to where my bladder is. So then the next I buy benadryl and start taking it for the hives. It helps a little. So then I wake up and now I felt my throat hurting and getting tight and hives are everywhere. I went to the ER they have a steroid shot and said it sound like a reaction to Cipro. So I been off of it for like 24 hours and I still have the hives and annoying pain when I owe. Can someone relate????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I cannot speak from personal experience but Cipro is a very strong antibiotic and can have some serious short and long-term effects. Drugs in this class now carry a black box warning in the U.S. I have read that other antibiotics are usually effective without these risks and should be used before Cipro and other fluoroquinolones.

Were you even tested for a UTI or kidney infection before prescribing the Cipro? Although UTI's are pretty common after hysterectomy, it seems they would have wanted to check a urine sample. Shooting pain could also be an indication of nerve damage.

I wish you well in getting answers and treatment.

• Posted

Thanks for taking time to answer. I went to see my OBGYN this morning and the MA sent my urine sample for a culture and it came back normal so I didn't even the Cipro. Funny thing is that I have taken it plenty of times before. The doctor says it could be a allergic reaction or my body fighting the change in my body. She says it happens alot. She said just rest and give it time. I will give an update if anything changes. Thanks again

• Posted

I break out in hives every time I take the antibiotic with a sulfa drug in it...Sounds like an allergic reaction.It has been almost 2 months since my hysterectomy ,I still have bladder pain, and go pee like every 2 hrs even at night.

• Posted

Thanks mary how long does it last. My throat felt tight and chest. I even started wheezing just this morning. I was in tears i'm just ready to feel better. I want to pee normal too lol. I also get up up like every 3 hours to pee. Now I'm regreting the surgery. Thanks for taking time to answer.

• Posted

Not sure how long it last, but I hate it..I had a complete hysterectomy & I wonder if because all the female parts are now gone if it has made my bladder weak ? Just a thought, but it is a good thing I had my surgery ,because I had no clue that I had an incurable cancer , ...I go Oct 26th to make sure it hasnt returned, there is no treatment for the cancer I had either... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.