Hives / delayed allergic reaction

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone. has anyone ever experienced an allergic reaction that caused hives? i think im allergic to sulfar which is in bactrim. im on hhydroxyzine 50mg and prednisone 40mg for itching and hives. i feel like a zombie. so tired. my whole body was red and covered in hives. all from trying to treat a stupid sinus infection. never had sinus probs or anything till entering menopause. i hate this..... when will it ever end. jusy want to feel normal again and med free....

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My sister, who is three years post menopausal, has had this reaction a couple of times while being treated with antibiotics for an infection. I don't know if there is a link between menopause and allergic reactions to certain antibiotics or not but this is an odd coincidence.

• Posted

hi shar yes very odd coincidence. its like you never know what to expect with menopause. thank you for sharing your thoughts. happy holidays

• Posted

This was one of my first symptoms in my 30s, eye hive after taking otc pain meds like ibuprofen and face/arm hives after eating then light exercise (like an after dinner walk). This particular symptom doesn't happen frequently anymore though it still sometimes happens.

I have seen several articles linking estrogen to histamine and would explain many symptoms for most of us. The head, gut, etc. all can be affected. Estrogen probably "masks " histamine effects and when we are low in estrogen, histamine reactions happen.

I have noticed my weather app shows high dust and dander allergies on days I feel really crummy.

I had no idea female hormones were involved in so many processes until hitting perimenopause....

• Posted

hi rainbow, WOW i never heard of possible estrogen being linked to histamine. im going to research articles on that. thank you for sharing that. i have started having sinsus problems out of nowhere. i noticed to how crappy i feel on days weather is bad like rain, pollen etc. its crazy how in menopause you experience so many things due to low estrogen. thank you for sharing that. happy holidays

• Posted

Hello Jessica this happened to me last January. I had to get dental work done and was told to take Amoxicillin a antibiotic . By the 8th day of taking it i had hives break out all over my body. It got so bad the allergic reaction, i had to call the ambulance to my home. I almost died because of it. They had to rush me to the hospital and was admitted. I was never allergic to anything before peri. I now walk around with a epi pen . It took 7 months for the hives scares to totally go away. It is very scary. I highly advise you to get a epi pen. Praying for you

• Posted

OMGGG HOPE, IM so sorry to hear you went through that. i know that was super scary. why did it take so long for the hives to go away? 7 months omg. im going to see an allergist soon. i think im.allergic to sulfar drugs. menopause takes you through so many things. thank you for responding and sharing your story. best to you.... happy holidays.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.