Hives for a month now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Most of the comments I find are really old, so, I'm hoping someone will respond that is current.  Almost 4 weeks ago, I woke up with what I thought were huge mosquito bites, probably about 30 or so.  Within 2 days though, I knew it was much worse and my journey with hives began.  I have literally been head to toe many times...clear up pretty much by mid morning, then awaken about 2-3 am with a new break out.  I have tried steroids 3 times...several different antihistamines and xanax thinking it might be nerve related.  No one that I personally know has experienced this and they are all scaring me that it's cancer.....but I HAVE looked that up and hives do not look like the rash that I have read about that is typical of lymphoma.  Today I had blood work done and should know the results of that in a few days.  My doctor has now prescribed a regimen of Claritin, Zantac (prescription strength twice a day) and Atarax every night.  I've never taken Atarex before so tonight will be the first.  I am looking for reassurance I guess --- that sometimes we never truly know the cause for the hives but that they can and do last for weeks, even months.  One common denominator for me was that about the same time as I broke out, #1, I had microneedling done on my face and #2, I began helping a family member clean and remodel a house that was filthy AND had a CAT.  Thank you in advance for sharing your insight..... 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Meemaw, 

I am female, I have this problem.

I do understand what you mean. I have some what become an expert on hives since I started having them at the age of 8, I am now 34. My hives became worse from late teens to my thirties. Hives will accur when you have a severe reaction to your allergen. It could have been dust mites from the cleaning or the cat, I doubt you will have the one I do, which is an allergy to heat, so whenever I get hot, whether from inside heating or the sun, my skin breaks out. The shorter life span your hives has, the more controlled it can be. Citirizine is one of the strongest allergy antihistamine and your doctor can prescribe it, you can also get it from any pharmacy. I have been given the ones you mentioned, but my hives was too stubborn for those and only started coming on less, when I had the Citirizine for over 3 months strait. I do think that your hives has just been jogged by something that you came into contact with. So after the blood results ask your doctor about Citirizine. It does mean that whenever you are in contact with your allergen, your hives will raise, so start taking notes per day about what you ate and what you came in contact with. Then you and your doctor can compare and have a breakdown of what is affecting you most.

This is one of the worse itches ever, try soothing liquid on your skin when raised and keep yourself cool, so the swelling can go down faster.

Good Luck Jay.

• Posted

My blood work did not show anything that suggested a major health condition.  So, that's good.  But, I'm back to the drawing board.  I'll check and see if I can get the Citirizine over the counter where I live....Thanks

• Posted

Feeling really discouraged tonight....7 weeks now, nothing seems to be helping.  My only reassurance seems to come from this forum.  For seven weeks now, I have tried EVERYTHING........but still breaking out daily.  Have you had constant break outs or does it come and go, maybe weeks or months apart?  
  • Posted

OMG --- I have been trying to figure out anything new in the past month since my hives started ---- all these weeks I was trying to blame it on helping to clean a house with a lot of cat dander.  BUT, I just looked at my calendar book and realized that my hives broke out BEFORE I started cleaning that house..but AFTER I had a facial with the new Micro-needling procedure!   While rare, there is a chance that the micro-needling procedure, which is fairly new, stirs up a whole lot of histamine in the body.  Anybody ever had that procedure done and have a similar experience?  Blaming the cat may not be accurate in my situation!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.