Hives link

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been suffering from hives on and off for over a year now, thyroid ruled out (hypothyroidism) even though my TSH was 5.2

Anyway after 6months my hives settled and although I still get them they have changed from huge hives to small dots or lines which now rarely form a small hive. 

My bloods come back normal my colon has been screened and I’m not showing I’m a celiac through testing, I’m starting to believe it could be a Gastrointestinal issue though this is my 4th or 5th theory. I will have this route checked out as my digestive system is sluggish. Has anyone had a similar experience or know of a link between the digestive tract and hives ??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are a lot of patient.info posts relating to hives and diet. I'd recommend searching for them. 

Myself, I found that the hives I had 10 yrs ago were due to Candida yeast infection. A water fast cleared them up in 2 days and then sticking to a low sugar diet (can't remember how long) eliminated the yeast.

From what I've gathered, hives can sometimes be related to the digestive track because due to an inability to digest certain proteins. This manifests as a severe allergic reaction and excess histamines - and hence hives.

You could try DOA or probiotics to see if that helps. An elimination diet may also be worth a try.

Good luck 

• Posted

Yes, one of my doctors thinks there’s is a GI relationship, histamines being released. I take antihistamines twice a day and omeperazole once a day. I’m also having Zolair injections monthly. My hives are a bit better, but still a real problem.
  • Posted

Try Chinese medicine. You can read my post about it on the “Urticarial rash” forum on this site. It has worked wonderfully well for my nephew. 
  • Posted

I dont know i have been getting the hives for over a year and taken the xolair shot .. at first it was a miracle no hives now all of a sudden it is not working as well.. I get hives everyday and now on my face.. sometimes they are small dots and sometimes they are bigger and are lines.. I started taking allergra with the shot and who knows maybe without the shot it would be worse but it is disappointing it is not working as well as it did in the beginning.. and yes i think it has something to do with stomach issues .. I have had those my whole life and take prilosec everyday along with a hiatal hernia.. I too have thyroid issues and oa .. I have tried to figure out why i have these and done the food diaries etc and nothing seems to stand out.. I however am going gluten free and do not itch as much.. Good luck this is one awful disease to have and to find out why

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.