Hives or scabies?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over a month ago I started having several itchy bumps appear on my hands shortly after waking up. They would usually disappear completely within a few hours. I had had this happen to me before, and it wasn't too severe so I ignored it. Then a few days ago I got a patch of many itchy bumps on my wrist. After using benadryl they went down but did not disappear. For the past few days I have been getting 2-ish new outbreaks per day, and again they have been improving with benadryl use but not disappearing. This seems different from what was happening before because they are not going away, and the bumps on more in number and clustered together. I am very worried that I have scabies because I read that wrist and between the fingers are common for a scabies rash. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed hydrocortisone and said wait and see if it goes away or gets worse. Any advice or opinions?? First two pictures are recent, last two are from a few weeks ago when I was getting less bumps that cleared up during the day. Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I thank your dermatogist is correct when she said wait and see. Meanwhile you should try to find out whats causing it. Check your enviroment for animals, pets, parasites, food, bed, your mate, chemicals, allergies, drugs, medications, etc. "Good" you'll seeing a doctor.

• Posted

I'm not a medical person at all but I can tell you that your bumps look nothing at all like my hives do...or ever did.  Yours looks more like a reaction to a plant, like poison ivy or oak to me... Bless your heart! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.