Hives/Urticaria first time flare up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I have had a rash (or many rashes!) for about 2 weeks now and after visiting the doctor for the second time this morning it appears I have Urticaria; and it's driving me insane!

The rashes are very raised welt-like bumps/circles and most of them itch like crazy. He has booked me in for a blood test on Monday and I have to also provide a urine sample.

For those who have experienced this, will a blood test tell me what is causing them? I have never suffered with allergies before and have no idea where to start to try and figure out what has caused it. I haven't changed my washing powder, eaten anything new, etc. etc. so am stumped as to why this is happening.

He's told me to take Cetirizine for this which will hopefully help, and I have been putting on Calamine lotion to the worst affected itchy bits to try and calm it down. So far, they have been on my inner arm underneath my armpit, on my hips, wrists and sides of my stomach plus a bit on my legs.

Does steroid cream work at all? Any help at all would be so much appreciated, or any tried and tested methods please let me know.

Happy to provide photos if needed!

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

I can only recount my own experience with this condition, but don't panic.

I was told that the condition could spontaneously disappear after 6 weeks. Make use of any palliative treatments prescribed by your doctor, and hope that it goes away on it's own.

One thing I've learned by being on this site is that there is no rhyme or reason to this condition, try not to get stressed (it really doesn't help) and if it is still with you after 6 weeks then return to your doctor.

I didn't have a blood test, and I don't think that could tell you anything anyway.

I have a lovely doctor who looked at me sweetly but pityingly when I asked about elimination diets etc, she said I could spend a lifetime trying to find out what was causing it, or what infinite combinations of factors could cause it.

I wish I could be more helpful, hang in there and fingers crossed for you in 4 weeks time.

• Posted

Hi Suze,

Thank you so much for your comments, it helps knowing that perhaps they will just disappear on their own. I’m trying not to stress too much about it, it’s more just quite depressing seeing new ones pop up, along with the constant discomfort.

I’ll let you know how it is in 4 weeks time!

• Posted

keep me posted, I am sending you positive thoughts

• Posted

I’ve just had my blood test results back, thankfully no major issues bought up but they do want me back next week for another blood test.

I think there’s an issue with my thyroid (this has come up before perhaps 2 years or so ago) and want to check on that in 3 months again.

Could the hives be linked in with an issue with my thyroid?

• Posted

Hello Sophie,

I struggled with Hives since middle school especially after a getting a virus. I did not know this. Initially it went away after a week. In college I discovered it started taking longer so thought it was food related. I cut everything off my diet except chicken and rice. Eventually it went away. After college I tried a variety of antihistamine and it controlled it. Last year after a bout with cold I again started getting hives and again I did the antihistamine, but this time it did not go away...for a year! I did everything again to get rid of it and again cut every food from my diet and lost 10 lbs. but still no results. One day I got the flu that lasted 2 weeks. When I finally got better from the flu I also noticed that my hives had disappeared. Two years later, I got a cold and again my hives returned. It wasn't until after a month that it finally really thought about what was it about the flu that made my hives disappear. It dawned on me that I had loaded up on vitamine C (Liposomal type)! I took 5 1000mg a day for 3 day and my hives are gone. I continue to take vitamine C for health reasons. I hope this helps out others. When I was struggling with hives, I was so desperate that I would try anything. I wish someone would have mentioned vitamine C. I hope the best for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.