Hives with Humira?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on HUmira for a little over a year.  My last dose was 2 weeks ago.  Saturday, I developed a bad case of hives all over my torso and legs.  Fast forward to today and I still have hives, but mostly on my back, arms and neck.  I talked to my rheum who said to hold this weeks dose of Humira and see how the hives respond.  I know hives can be a sign of an allergic reaction after the administration of the medicine...but has anyone developed hives almost 2 weeks out since their last injection?  Thanks for any input!  (ps. i have no new foods, detergents, soaps, etc).

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took penicillin and it took 12 dates of taking it before I broke out in hives. Yes hives are usually a sign of allergies. I tried Humeria for about 2 weeks and couldn’t use it anymore it burned so bad going in I would scream on the pre mixed I had the same problem with the pre mixed Enbrel. So now I mix my own Enbrel it comes in a kit it was determined it was probably the preservatives. The doctor maybe trying to research what he should give you maybe why you broke out. Hang in there and hopefully your doctor figures out what your next step is. 

• Posted

Absolutely hives is a symptom of allergies. Call the dr ASAP. ask if you can take benedryl for the hives or for a prescription. I’m so sorry about this is a set back. I always believe they are for a reason. Possibly a better drug or treatment is down the pike for you. Best Wishes! 
  • Posted

HI Kimmyr

As suggested by the others please get it checked out by the medical professionals. We all know that Mtx is one powerful med. Extremely effective for most but odd side effects can occur. Whilst I never developed hives, I did end up with Mtx induced hepatitis. Most unpleasant, my body can't tolerate it. That's why I always stress to folks to keep up with regular blood tests. Good luck, don't ignore

• Posted

Thank you everyone.  As stated, i did talk to my rheumatologist Monday morning and that is why I am holding off on humira dose this week.  It is just frustrating if this is what it is from as I finally was getting to a place where the pain was controlled.  Crossing fingers this is not what it was, but hope4cure, I love your outlook that maybe there is something better out there!!!!  Thank you guys again for all of your help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.