Hiw to be pain free

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had hip surgery 8 weeks ago and things seemed to be going good until my 5 week mark . Started getting pain in my groin and down my leg again . I am driving and able to walk although I walk like a  penguin  As one leg is somewhat longer then the other now . Stopped taking pain meds after 2 weeks pretty much only to be taking them for bed after 5 weeks again . Have slacked off on doing my exercises cause they hurt so much . Do the ones I can but  neglect  The others . I go see my surgeon again on the 24th but am pretty worried . Any advice . Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My doctor and the second opinion doctor both told me to give it a year.   My first THR was without pain or limping.. no problems at all.  The fractured femur and revision surgery make this a different animal.  I would seek a second opinion if I were you.
  • Posted

I am almost 15 weeks. Was also going well until 5-6 week.  Now have burning sensation in my upper thigh. I am limping badly and the doctor does not wait to recognize this.  I am miserable.  I am now hurting on the other side from walking with a limp.  I am going for physical therapy twice a week and doing some on my own at home.  I don't think this limp will ever go away. What did the surgeon say on your visit on the 24th?  They really don't want to be bothered with you after a certain period of time. This is really ruining my life to be honest. I cannot deal with this limp!!!!

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, I had my right hip replaced 4 months ago and at 6 weeks I felt just like you. I was still on my crutches and the surgeon pretty much told me to get my act together and get off them! I was so worried at the time as I had such a bad limp without the crutches (think drunk penguin imitating a cowboy!) and felt like my right leg was a completely different length! But forcing myself off the crutches was the best thing...it took at least 3 weeks, but my limp gradually disappeared and now I am all but walking normally. What’s more, I don’t feel like I have a length discrepancy at all...it completely went once my walking got back to normal. I know you are off crutches and walking and driving, but my point is that once you master the walking hopefully your legs will feel even again. Even at 10 weeks, I felt so disheartened with pain in groin, struggling with exercise and still limping. I also had terrible shooting pains in my right shin which was worse than the pain from before the op! But once the walking evened out and I kept pushing myself, it got much better and now at 4 months I am finally feeling normal. So I would say, walking is the absolute best exercise you can do. I started doing a lap round my garden and kept building it up, just got back from Wales and a 5 mike hike up and down hills which I wouldn’t have thought possible at 8 weeks! Working through some pain is needed, it will let you know when it’s too much! Take the pain meds you need to take and don’t worry about it and keep positive. It will all come together! Wishing you a speedy recovery. ☺️
    • Posted

Hi Vix1984

I found your post most helpful I am at five weeks and walking though with a limp but after walking for half an hour or more I am finding it painful and need to resort to pain relief which enables me to move more freely. I'm aiming by Christmas I will be pain free and walking normally so reading your post I'm hopeful I might be, thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.