Hoarseness & LPR & Snorring

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with LPR for almost a year now and the only symtom that seems to not to get 100% better if my voice.  I am on famotidine and take digestive enzymes and probiotics.  My diet is no sugar, no spicy food and little dairy.  I eat mostly chicken & fish and eggs with cheese for breakfast.  Wine on weekends and one cup of coffee a day.  I feel like the swallowing issues are gone, some random coughing, but much better than in the beginning.  I have asked my ENT about my continued hoarsness and why it won't go away.  No answers...I asked if my loud snorring could be the issue and he said maybe.  Anyone else out there still deal with weak voice and hoareness issues and have any recommendations?  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi ron, 1.3 years was what i experienced to feel like i made a full recovery from lpr. i  had hoarseness in the morning upon waking for many months. your snoring is a good point. i don't snore much so i can't comment on that. did you have hoarseness with snoring prior to the lpr? however, if it was me i would work on my diet more. as you know with lpr it can be tricky to figure out what you respond poorly to. when it comes to food make sure you find a good source on what is low acid. early on in my diagnosis i took pepcid ac for 3 days, but found the side effects were too much for me so i quit. from then on i continued eating a clean diet and also created an incline in my bed and never laid down after i ate. also, don't bend over at the hips.  there were a few more behaviors i changed, but not much more.

bottom line acid reflux especially lpr still baffles the medical world in my opinion. it's obvious that prolonged lpr can damage the esophagus, vocal chords, and throat, but how exactly it does this is still a mystery.

• Posted

Thanks for your input.  I have always snorred like a bear and had no side affect with the voice or hoarseness before.  I too went on PPi's in the beginning and got off the first week.  I guess I should feel lucky this was intense at first but tappered off. I see some threads that people are dealing with this 5+ years.  I will take your advice and watch what I eat more.  Red wine does not seem to bother me, but coffee maybe something I should consider getting off?  What about dairy, heavy cream or cheese or eggs?  Does that matter?  I have not change my bed yet but do try to sleep on my left side and wait longer for bed after meals.  I appreciate your suggestions.  
    • Posted

i feel like kauffman should give me some money since i have pushed her book so much to others. she wrote a book called dropping acid. i would get a copy of it and follow her advice especially on food. i know it sounds harsh, but i would give up the coffee and alcohol. maybe exchange it for chamomile tea. i drink 1% milk with every meal. milk is not only a buffer to the stomach, but has been used in the medical field to keep missing parts alive. early in my diet change i did avoid higher fat dairy, but i do not follow that now. for me eggs, cheese, and cream are fine. do a small test eat a little bit of it and do you find yourself clearing your throat soon after....? prop up the bed or get a good foam wedge for sure!!! don't overlook that. for the wedge sleep high up on it and learn to not let yourself slide down. also, as mentioned only lay down for 2-3 hours after you eat and when bending down keep your torso straight up . feel free to look at some of my old posts i go over my diet in detail as well as other behaviors....
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I have heard about the book early on but need to buy it.  The wedge is something I will have to try.  I was off wine and coffee and stick diet no sugar the whole 9 yards for 6 weeks and had no changes what so ever, so I thought.  Oh, I lost almost 10 pounds I wish I had back.   That is the other thing, no bread or carbs, at all and I cannot gain any weight back. I was a healthy 155 to 160 now I down to 145...This Gerd thing has stipped me of body mass for some reason.  i will check some of your old food post to see what other items I can throw in my mouth to gain some weight and hopefully get my voice back. 
  • Posted

Hi Ron, I too have GERD and minimal Barretts and suffer from a burning tongue and hoarsenss (regardless of time of day) The ENT (after putting a scope down my nose and asking me to make vowel sounds) told me that the larynx was not closing properly and air was pushing through and I force my larynx to 'speak' which makes me hoarse after talking for a while (if you know what I mean.)

​i also have Sjogren's Syndrome so not sure what is related to what.

• Posted

I have some updates that are worth listening to. About a week before the holidays I decided to stop using the Famotidine that I was taking for several months.  I had read about the side affects, one of which was hoarseness and even depression.  I have to admit, since I stopped taking this drug my hoarseness is almost all gone.  In addition to my moods swings are gone.   I have been on vacation in Victoria, BC and its much colder than Hawaii and I am drinking coffee every morning and eating red meat and even wine with dinner almost every night.  I was also suffering from insomonia, which is also most gone.  I took a nap the other day and my wife said I was snorring again like a bear, and my voice was not affected when I woke.  I plan to go in for the scope in January and a CT scan just to check out things, but I feel 95% better.  I am taking plenty of other things such as, L-Glutamine, DGL, Vegan Chlorella Tablets, Perfect Biotics, Vitamin D3 and Mild Thistle every day.  I really think most of these drugs that are prescribed do more damage upsetting the natural way your stomach has to work.

I am trying to gain back the 10 to 15 lbs that I have lost since all of this started.  I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I sure feel a lot better.  Good luck to all of you, this is one hell of a journey getting back to normal.

• Posted

good for you ron for figuring it out. sometimes you have to play detective. as mentioned i had a bad experience with pepcid ac and most people can take it like candy. keep us updated on how your scan goes.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.