Holap abrasion

Posted , 10 users are following.

Struggling with BPH sense 1994,mostly low flow, Tried Urolift in office without anesthesia and couldn't complete so I went to Mayo Phoenix doctor Humphrey to do HOLEP. After ultrasound found prostate only 340cubic centimeters but plugged. Solid.

,to small for HOLEP. ,so changed my procedure to Holap, a little slower than Greenlight and holium more precise. Did Friday morning at 7.15am,got home by noon, put cath in till Monday.

Absolutely no pain, urine clear all weekend, couple Drops blood at penis head, he used big cath,

Went in at 9.30 to remove cath, used fill flush to get out, came out without pain, a little pink when removed but cleared up immediately, Went to Cracker barrel, had lunch, 1 1/2 hour drive to Camp Verde,

Have to step back 2 steps to pee absolutely no pain or burning , had more pain with Urolift recovery.

Flow is like in 20s again, they took tissue sample and no cancer.

Can't believe I didn't get this done years ago.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Great to hear Paul and a lesson for others who leave it too long for various reasons. Console yourself with the thought that in 1994 you would have had to have what my then doctor called  a 'bloody’ TURP. My symptoms like yours started in 1994 and I refused a TURP and waited for GL PVP to come on the scene and had it in 2004 for my then 75 grm prostate. My recovery was like yours with catheter out after twelve hours the next morning but not completely voiding for 24 hours. Then a 130 mile train journey home without a problem and went to the races the next day and life back to normal and able to travel the world without any worry.

Nine years later my prostate had grown to 135grms and had Thulium/Holmium procedure now evidently known as Revolix that also went well but a slightly slower recovery as the catheter was left in for too long.

• Posted

Paul

Firstly many congratulations on what sounds like a very successful outcome.

Secondly thanks for posting here, due to the very nature of a forum such as this we often only see negative outcomes as folk are looking for answers.

Now for the question many of us will be burning to ask. Do you know yet whether you have retrograde ejaculation ? Most transurethral procedures for bph results in this outcome.

And finally what is holap as opposed to holes ? I've never heard of it?

Thanks regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Hi Jeremy

Holap is when they vaporized the prostate and HOLEP is when they core out, push into bladder and use a tool to extract.

Holap is like Greenlight but uses a different laser frequency. Holium is dispersed in liquid and doesn't damage other tissue in area. RE is 90% certain in HOLEP and 70% in Holap. Only a 2% redo rate in 7 to 15 years, Told to get off prostate medicine. I live on Coconino national forest and walk 2 miles in morning. Usually have to stop 3 or 4 times to pee on trail, didn't have to stop once today, no more.I read on this forum that you have to retrain your bladder. I noticed I can hold it and urge goes away soon. I had it about half an hour ago but someone else was in there and I forgot all about having to go. Anyway holap is for smaller prostates and HOLEP for larger.

I m fortunate to have Mayo Phoenix in my network and so close Dr Humphrey has done hundreds if not thousands.

From what I here your outcome is largely depends on doctors experience.

I was pretty scared but the only pain was in throat and neck when I was put out.

My throat and neck hurts for 2 days .

Also, slept well,went 4 and half hours instead of every 2 hours getting up to pee and this is day 4 so I hoping that will increase.

I'm using the Bible verse Isaiah 58 verse 6 thru 8 to relate to the experience of the surgery and speedy recovery.

Wish everyone luck,and thanks so much for this site, I'll always have you guys in my heart for what we are all going thru.

I'll. Keep updating my progress and keep you all in my prayers.

• Posted

Paul    I do hope you get better and all works for you.  Maybe you won't get retro or the other side effect but I still feel you gave up your prostate to soon.  God bless  Ken 

• Posted

You may be right, Urolift may have worked out for me but doctor didn't use anesthesia and I freaked out and went to Mayo Phoenix and scheduled a HOlep.

Because prostate was only 38 cubic centimeters they did holap.

I'll keep you guys posted on progress.

Just nice to not strain and not getting those urges all the time.

I was told 70 %RE on holap so just have to wait and see.

Hope fully this journey is near it's end

Now I need to join gym and work out and trim down like you.

• Posted

Yes it has but his problem was not that bad.  Prostate was only 38cc.  Not bad growth in 23 years. I hope all works out for him.  No man should have any procedure done without being put out.  Like he said it freak him out.  And it hurts like you know what........Ken. 
    • Posted

Thanks paul for the  info you are giving us. Did you have urine retention before you had the Holap surgery?

Thanks

frank

• Posted

Congratulation, that is a wonderful story. I have a small question, you said your prostate was only 340cc. That is huge, that is about 10 times the normal prostate size? Is this a typo? What is your age? Do you know if you lost sexual functions with this procedure or what is your anticipation in this area? 
  • Posted

Hi Paul, Thanks for that report. Did you have urine retention? no NV?

Thanks

frank,

• Posted

HI PAUL, Thanks for this report. Did you have urine  retention  no NV before Holap?

Thanks

frank

• Posted

Hi Frank

Don't know what NV is.

I was dribbling when I tried to pee.

Not emptying bladder.

Unbearable urgency.

Starting and stopping.

On my walk of 2 miles I would have to stop 3 to 5 times on trail.

Never self cath before.

• Posted

Hello Paul, my prostate was 38.6 ml, and I had HoLEP. 

?Some doctors will not do HoLEP on a small prostate.

?I have met with a doctor here in Canada, and he doesn't

?do HoLEP on smaller then 70 ml. For smaller, he recomends

?a green light.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.