holep costs

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone had the holep procedure done at the mayo clinic in arizona ?

and was the physician Dr. humphreys ?

I have been suffering from BPH for 8 years , I just learned to live with it !!

But last year i came down with Acute Bacterial Prostatitis and 12 months

later it has morped into chronic prostatitis , LUTS , CPPS .

I have been trying to deal with it but new symtoms have come up and it is

time i do something and i think holep would be the best treatment for me .

I would like to know how much the holep procedure costs , total amount

and what the total cost of the hospital room is per night .

My insurance will only cover 50% if i go to a non network provider . also if anyone has any info on holep doctors in los angeles CA area . 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you Google for the American Forum 'steadyhealth' you will find a lot of discussion on Holep compared to here. 
    • Posted

Derek

thanks for the info on the steadyhealth forum .

Griff

• Posted

Griff before you  do anything look up the procedure and its side effect before anything is cut out.  I had a urolift 5 weeks ago and I'm great no med and sleeping all night  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

kenneth

I looked into urolift but in my case my prostate is inflamed or infected

plus bph , so just opening the urethra would still leave me with my same 

symptoms burning and pain in the bladder and testicles and recently

to add to my list of symptoms ejaculatory dysfunction , erectile

dysfunction.

my urologist talked about green light laser treatment.

but when i looked into that procedure it removes only 30% to 50%

of prostate tissue were as turp transurethral resection of the prostate

removes 50% to 60% of the prostate tissue .

finally holep holmium laser enucleation of the prostate removes

85% to 90% of the prostate tissue.

every one wants to leave surgery as a last resort .

so for now i will try natural treatments .

turmeric , oil of oregano , bee pollen , green tea , cranberry 

milk thistle , Quercetin , lycopene , saw palmetto and pygeum

selenium , zinc.

Add practice watch waiting for now .

european urology have some excellent articles on sexual dysfunction

from luts with bph.

griff

• Posted

Griff.  At least you know what going on and you have the information to do whats best for you.  My prostate was the size of a lemon.  Sometime I would feel like I was pivoting back and forth.  Also I have a stricture just befor the sphincter muscles.  Before I had to force myself to go..  I would stand to pee and it would take me a while.  What my urologist told me was that when I would pee I had to go thru the prostate and then thru the stricture.  Now with the urolift done I only have to go thru the stricture and it much easier.  I'm happy that worked because I do now what to go thru stricture surgery that is another ordeal ............ Take care and good luck  Keb 
  • Posted

Iam not 100% sure but I think "RonTexan" used Dr. Humphreys in Arizona.  You may want to send him a message.  I know someone on this site did use him because I remember reading about it. 
    • Posted

thanks chuck

I will try and send ron a message

griff

• Posted

Hi All - probably too late but my dad had HoLEP 2 weeks ago self pay at UC and it was 48K.  He ran into complications with excessive bleeding, went back in for second general anesthesia and couldn't find the bleeder.  The bleeding stopped by itself.  My dad stayed for one night.  Now we have an outstanding balance of 38K for the emergency exploratory surgery.  My dad felt the recovery nurses were rough with his catheter after successful HoLEP - that they were flushing pretty forcefully with the syringe.  Before he was discharged, they asked if he wanted a tranfusion.  His hematocrit was half the amount he went in. They tell you complications are rare but it does happen.  Hope all went well for you.

• Posted

This is probably too late for you sir, but perhaps there are others on the site that are still in need.

I had Dr. Humphries for my lead surgeon on the HoLEP surgery. He flew in to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester (Dec 2014) assisted by Dr Deb Lightner. she was training to have this specialty at the time.

previous to the procedure, I had a prostate reduction program under Dr. Karnes there, reducing the size from 340 mL to 213 before the operation.

I left the hospital the morning after the operation. I had no repercussions from the surgery, I was left with the capsule of the prostate, leaving my maleness intact.

I was able to do carpentry laying a wood floor in my home two weeks after the operation. After seven years, I have had no further dealings with prostate issues. My PSA level went down from 22 before the operation to 0.7 currently.

Financially, Medicare took care of almost everything for the cost of the operation. I am currently 73 years old.

• Posted

What type of Medicare plan do you have? As I understand, under the original Medicare you would have to pay 20% copay. Thanks. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.