HOLEP: Good? Bad? Otherwise?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am on a trajectory toward needing one of the available BPH treatments, with REZUM and HOLEP at the top of the heap.  There is a wonderful thread here on this forum regarding REZUM, but I am not seeing much on HOLEP.

Anyone here have experiences they want to share with HOLEP?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had what I expected to be HoLEP on Thursday June 30 and was informed moments before surgery that the laser used was Thulium not Holmium and that it was a step up in quality. You can Google both for comparison. At that point I did not question and proceeded. Three hour surgery, prostate noted as "massive" 80 grams of morsulated material submitted for examination. No cancer. I was out of the hospital on Friday July 1 and due to weekend plus Monday holiday had catheter until July 6th. No fun with that schedule. Had some bleeding issues in the beginning and that has subsided. Now dealing with leakage and am told could last for months. After checking with other HoLEP patients this also is in the relm of "normal" outcome. Of course some are better, all heal differently. As has been mentioned the key is to find a Doctor that has done this procedure hundreds of times. If I can be of further help let me know.

I notice  that "kenneth" has posted no less than three (all the same) lenghthy anti surgery rants as usual. Note that Urolift is not for all especially large prostates and the outcome is not 100% rosey.

• Posted

I had leakage as well but only for 2 or 3 weeks.  The UK guys report being told to do Kegel exercises as a way to stop that..... they were even told to do it months before the surgery.  It did help me (just stop the urine mid-stream several times for 15 seconds, repeat, etc.).
    • Posted

And I will do that till the day I die.  There are many other procedures that do a better job and less truma to a mans body.  You went through a 3 hour surgery and you may all way have a problem with leaking.  There have been men on here that still have a problem after up to a year and have to do CIC after a surgery that was suppose to fix the problem.  Uro-lift...PAE...RAZUM are just as good and do not cause the truma that the others do.  I can give my opinion to anyone but they pick what they will have.  And have to deal with the side effect after the surgery.  I will never give up anything just to pee better.   And if I have cancer there are other ways to deal with it they having your prostate cut out   Ken    
    • Posted

James, I hope you are doing well.  

I'm looking forward to your updates.

jeff

• Posted

As a eneral rule, I recommend starting with the procedures that are least invasive with the fewest side effects first. They are, PAE, Urolift and ReZum. Permanent side effects are rare with all three and most who are good candidates get considerable, acceptable relief from them. Its my feeling that you can always go for more invasive surgical options if those three don't work or you aren't a good candidate.

HoLep seems to be the best of the surgical options, but it will leave you with RE, which many feel makes sex permanently enjoyable. Recovery is long, often with weeks to months of leakage. It's way better than TURP, but I suggest that you investigate/try all of the three less invasive options before going under the knife.

• Posted

Very good advice.You can always go forward but you can't go back with the knife.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

My understanding is that with PAE once the blood veesles are blocked they can not be unblocked. I'm curious what happens if they block the wrone vessles. I'm also curious about the longevity of PAE and Urolift since they are fairly new procedures. ( HOLEP has been around sice the 90's ) Seems to me with Urolift you're just pinning back the prostate so its out of the way. What stops it from continueing to grow?

• Posted

I had my Holep carried out 2 years ago in Cambridge. It was done privately but is available on the NHS in Cambridge by the same excellent consultant. I have to say it has been a total success for me. The only after-effect and expected was retrograde ejaculation but as I was producing very little anyway it has made no difference. I had very little pain after the first couple of days apart from urination stinging for the first week. My flow rate remains excellent with no dribbling. For a few months I had very occasional spontaneous spotting but that stopped a year ago. My prostate produced some blood for 5 weeks despite the hospital saying it would last a few days. So, choose a good consultant with a lot of experience and go for it. I am so pleased with the operation and the surgeon. BTW my prostate was around 130gm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.