HOLEP Laser treatment for enlarged prostate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had the above procedure for an enlarged prostate some 13 weeks ago and I am experiencing burning sensation in the urethra and tip of the penis, is this normal and will it disappear over time. I would appreciate any thoughts. I am continuing to drink 2.5 ltrs of water per day and taking painkillers when it gets bad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you checked for UTI? Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank

Yes i have had urine tests no infection, could this be inflammation resulting from the laser surgery. Saw my doctor last week who did the procedure and he just said it will pass, not helpful when you are in discomfort, he this is France

Any suggestions

Thanks

Dennis

• Posted

When were you tested for UTI? By the way, did HoLEP procedure help with your symptoms? Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank

Thank you for replying, the last time that I was tested was on the 31st December, might be worth getting another test?

The Holep procedure has helped with the original symptoms I had, it is now just this burning to get over.

I live in France and there is a lack of pre-operation information, you have to find everything out for yourself. They do not explain enough of what could happen after the procedure.

That is why a site like this is so good to talk to people that might be going through what you are going through.

It would be good to know if inflammation of the urethra is quite normal and if so what medication I can take to help the problem.

Thanks

Dennis

• Posted

How did you come about to pick up HoLEP, which is the best procedure for BPH, imho? However, you should be healed by now inside after 13 weeks. I suspect that it is UTI and you could have been worse if you had not been been drinking lots of water. In the meantime, try some over the counter medications like for UTI. If it helps than you are more likely to have UTI. Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank

I have seen my doctor today and she has told me that another patient of hers has got the exact same problem with burning in the urethra, after having laser surgery and she suspects that a nerve was damaged during surgery, and that time will heal meanwhile keep taking painkillers until the healing process starts.

The reason for the HoLEP treatment for enlarged prostate is the previously the surgeon used to carry out Green light laser treatment and the success rate was not good and the procedure had to be done again whereas HoLEP results are very good.

In France they prefer this kind of treatment to TURPS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.