HOLEP Or PAE Which Of The 2 Would You Chose

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi to all out there who had HOLEP or PAE or both, I would like to ear from your experiences or opinions regarding these 2 methods. 

After over 3 1/2 months of suffering from a blockage not being able to urinate a single drop with a 100 grams prostate size and wearing a catheter, I'm face to the decision to chose between the two, I was also offered TURP a few months back but not a choice for me. I have a PAE appointment on Tuesday afterwards I will have to decide on which procedure to chose to help me urinate again, I prefer to chose the operation route than medication and CIC. 

Much appreciated

John

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the exact same problem, so I chose to have a PAE 10 days ago. My prostate was 174, the PAE was an amazing success...thrilled with my decision after doing my due diligence. My procedure only took 45 mins. With 2 and a half hours of recovery time. I stayed overnight in a hotel before flying back to back home the next day. I would never allow anyone to perform a TURP on me, or any friend or relative that I cared about. GodSpeed with your decision.
    • Posted

Hello ss3234, thanks for sharing your story with me, I'm glad to hear that things went well with the PAE intervention and that you don't regret having it done. I'm just wondering if you have an idea of the size of your prostate now, you said it was 174 was it grams, that's pretty huge, I know it can take some times before shrinking, not sure what is the % of shrinkage, I think it's around 40%. Did you have complete blockage before the operation, where you able to urinate after the surgery.

Thanks for responding, good luck and God bless you

John

• Posted

Who did your PAE, and where was it done?

Neal

• Posted

John.... I had holep 5 months ago and doing great; no regrets.... however, I had not heard of PAE  before, and I think I would have tried it first.  It's too new to know about the future of it, as is the REZUM procedure which also sounds good.  I think if I knew then what I know now, I'd try PAE first.  Best of Luck, and let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi Paul , thanks for sharing your story, I hear good things about HOLEP other than the retrograded ejaculation side effect, seems to be a fair trade for being able to urinate normally. For some men it bothers them but for me, I just want to urinate and get rid of my catheter, I had RE in the past 6 years ago when I was on Flowmax so no big deal for me. 

All the best to you

John

• Posted

John it is all up to you.  Get the information and you have to decide. Write down both procedures and put down the pros and cons of both and see which could you live with.  Make sure your put the side effects and the heal time for both and then you decide.  Good luck  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.