HoLEP...PAE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I live in the Orlando Fl. area. I have been to a number of URO's and none want to discuss any procedure other that Turp and Urolift. I'm Interested in talking to a URO about the possibility of HoLEP or PAE or even the BTURP. Are there any URO's near me that I may have missed?.........Billy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Billy,

Urologists are only going to offer and support you using their services; the skills they have been taught in their area of expertise. For other options, such as PAE as an example, you should contact an Interventional Radiologist. They are trained and have knowledge of PAE. The Uro's don't. Do you own research on-line. Search this site too. There's a lot of good information here and on the internet. Take your time, be methodical, and know what you want to accomplish. Make sure you tell any Doctor(s) exactly what you want and do not want. After getting all the information you can, then list the benefits and risks of each procedure. Have someone you trust help you make a list of Your Best options. Base that list on what is most important to you... and what you can afford (with or without Insurance). Then, if you have a good choice, you are blessed. Go with your Best Choice. Good Luck Brother, I am still checking out my options and do not like my limitations, so I have been prolonging my search, hoping some better option opens up. The years suffering are not a good thing, but I am concerned about losing what I still have.

Chuck

• Posted

If you're considering a PAE, best to go with a very experienced interventional radiologist even if it means traveling. Check out Dr Sandeep Bagla in Woodbridge, VA. I had a PAE with him two years ago and have only the best things to say about him, his staff, and his office. I traveled from NY to VA for the procedure.

Rich

• Posted

Google "plasma button find a physician" and put in your zip code. There are many doctors in Florida doing button TURP (which is always bi-polar). Someone here previously posted about a uro in Bradenton who did his and he was quite happy with the results.

Doctors doing Holep are few and far between. This is a more difficult procedure with a longer learning curve. There's a guy from U of Miami Health System "urologist and surgeon Dr. Hemendra Shah has performed more than 1,600 HoLEP procedures since 2003."

If your doctor thinks Urolift will relieve your symptoms, why not try that? If it doesn't work, you can always have another procedure later.

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies, you guy's have given me great info. I did have the UroLift 8 months ago and it offered some relief but not enough. I still have to take Alfuzosin daily and have Nocturia, But it seems to have helped with the recurring uti's (fingers crossed) I was having a uti on the average of 3 to 4 months for the past 3 years. I did have one 6 weeks post procedure but doc said it was probably due to the procedure. I'm now 5 months uti free and keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again..........Billy

• Posted

Dr. Ara Karamanian in Houlston is an interventionalist radiologist who is highly recommended for minimally invasive treatment for BPH and for prostate cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.