3 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Derek to the link.  However, I did find the "Are their any alternatives" section lacking. Omitted were all other prostate reduction surgeries or procedures, with the exception of TURP.  And while a permanent catheter was mentioned, there was no mention of Clean Intermittent Catherization (CIC), which is superior to a permanent catheter in most cases for numerous reasons. 

Jim

Jim

• Posted

From their website

We are pleased to offer the most modern techniques in urology, including the holmium laser and green light laser. While the two lasers are fundamentally different and used for different purposes, they can both be a key treatment for a range of conditions.

Prostate enlargement

Both types of laser can be used for treating enlarged prostates. However, we favour the holmium laser, as it has been shown to have better long-term results, which means avoiding the need for further surgery in the future. The holmium laser can be used to ablate (burn away) or enucleate (core out) an enlarged prostate.

The hospital where I had my GL in 2004 went over to Holep a few years ago probably as it saves tissue for histology. However GL is now the recommended NHS procedure with it estimated that 13,000 will be done each year..

• Posted

The NHS and NICE web sites (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence  ) list all the treatments but I may not get away with a link to them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.