Holep Surgery South Florida

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was lucky to find Dr. Hemendra Shah at the University of Miami with over 1000 holep operations experience. I had the surgery four weeks ago and I am doing fine. I think he is the only one in Miami that does it.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

That's great news Anibal! From what I hear about Holep, you want someone very experienced. Sounds like you found the right doctor!

Jim

• Posted

Pleased to read that your HoLEP procedure went well. 

I had mine 2 years ago here in the UK and have had no problems whatsoever, other than some hemorrhaging 10 days after the procedure but that can be expected if you ignore the advice on taking things easy and bend lift and strain your abdominal muscles as I did.

Good luck with your recovery and watch you don't overdo things in the first month.

• Posted

Hi Rogcal,

I would like to know where you had your holep? I'm hoping it was in Cambridgeshire.

Best,

Chris.

• Posted

Sure was Chris, at Addenbrookes. 

Procedure carried out by the top man in the HoLEP field who hails from New Zealand. 

Can't say who exactly because of forum rules but I'm sure you have worked out who I'm talking about.

ATB

Roger

• Posted

"Can't say who exactly because of forum rules but I'm sure you have worked out who I'm talking about.?" - but ... others like the OP on this thread do name their uro's.  How many times have i read Dr James Lingemann named here, too.  And many others.  If there is a rule, it surely isn't enforced.  I always assumed it was only bad uro's that no-one dared name, because for all that medics claim to hate litigation culture, I bet they would be tempted to litigate, that way round ...

• Posted

Anibal  I hope all goes well for you.  Are you concerned with retro and out of the 1000 men he did how many ended up with retro God Bless
    • Posted

Not at all, it was expected. Medicines like Flomax and Finasteride give you retro as well and am  glad I dont have to take them anymore. I read only a very small percentage (lucky?) get partial retro. Is not a big deal. Libido is back!
    • Posted

Glad the libido is back but I would never have anything done that would give me retro.  Im 62 and not giving up anything.  I had a UROLIFT done almost 3 years ago  All is great.  Just got out of the Hospital with a bladder and kidney infection.  They gave me flomax but I am not going to take it at home.   I will just drink a lot of water and Juice.  I have here that if a doctor is very good you will not get retro he can control what he cuts out and try to leave the good stuff.  I did send a email to him to see if he will give me that information.  I live in Orlando  Take care and heal fast  but be carful  Ken
    • Posted

My uro does HOLEP, he said 85% chance of retrograde ejaculation.
    • Posted

Uncklefester.  With reading so much information on HOLEP I have read that the better your doctor is the better chance you have of not getting it.  I guess they only get ride of the tissue that have to and stay away for the bladder neck and the ejaculatory duct.  I sent a email to the doctor  I would like to know his % on the 1000.  Take care and good health to all  Ken   
    • Posted

OK, thank you. I only had surgery four weeks ago, but statistics are just that, we will see. Still, benefits are clearly greater than the risks, a better quality of life is worth it to me. Good luck.
    • Posted

Every man picks the procedure that they feel is right for them  Some men do not what to give up anything just to pee better.  Good luck and heal well  Ken
  • Posted

There are varying degrees of retro that accompany BPH treatments and unfortunately we cannot know how how any of us will be effected until after the procedure has been done. I am one of the very lucky guys who has very minimal retro and I have to attribute that to the skills of the urologist who performed my surgery. I was prepared to expect retro to some degree and I am obviously happy that it is only slight. But, as I look back at the improvements I am experiencing as result of my surgery I would have to say that I would be willing to sacrifice full ejaculations in order to have restored urinary function that I now have. I realize that not all men can agree with me on this topic, but at my age (68) I chose to accept the outcome, whatever it might have been, so that I could regain normal urinary and sexual function.
    • Posted

Dale  I'm very happy that all worked out for you and yes I do agree with and have read that the better the doctor is the better chance you will not have retro.  But I will not give mine up for any reason.  I was just in the hospital with a bladder and kidney infection.  I stopped peeing for 32 and 17 hours.  Had to be catheter 7 times very painfull.  My doctor had to do procedure to make sure everything was ok.  Before I would sign the papers I made sure that I had it put in writing that my doctor had my permission if there was a problem with my prostate that he only had permission to cut the right side only   

• Posted

This was done in front of the nurse.  He had no problem signing it because he know how I feel.  All was fine bladder was good and the clips I had put on my prostate before were fine.  Prostate wide open.  We all have our concerns and we are the ones that have to deal with it.  At 62 I do not want to lose my ejaculation for any reason.  I know peeing is important but so is my ejaculation.  They had me on flomax in the hospital and want me to take it for another month.  I will not do that.  The  ORGASM has no feeling at all for me.  It leave me wanting more.  We all have to deal with our problems and if you decide your ok with it then your good to go.  The doctor do not consider a man ejaculation a sexual function.  To all men picking a procedure.  Do your research before you do anything and see how many your doctor had done.  Some doctors underplay the side effect.  What ever your concerns are let him know.  Good health to all and God Bless  Ken      
    • Posted

Prostate size, age, bladder function, retention are part of the equation, also the procedure you choose, on the after effects results.
    • Posted

Yes that is all true.  Every man has to get as much information he can before he picks a procedure.  You can't rush into anything.  And if you can get a second opinion.  With any procedures you have to look at the pros and cons before you pic.  ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.