Holiday insurance

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced travel insurance which covers copd. I live in the UK.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HI panda,

Will be interested to see any replies as I have the smae question/issue.

I only found out recently that I have to obtain a "certificate" to be able to fly.

The pass mark apparently is an oxyimeter reading of 95% otherwise the airline can make a cxharge to supply extra oxygen.  If anyone has any information on this I would be interersted to hear?

Your question is "topical" as the we are in the midst of the holiday season.

Hope you get some good feedback

Take care

Michael

• Posted

I have just been awarded but did not tell my travel company I had copd. It is only moderate but they wanted an extra £100 each way. Its' a rip off.

I have just been England to Tunisia and insurance was £159 but I do have other problems.

Let's hope someone will come up with some companies.

• Posted

Hi ,I used to have my inflight tests at hospital ,it's a test that tests your oxygen levels in an air craft under normal conditions ,if your oxygen ,level is good then that's ok ,if it's low ,,,but not tooo low they do the test again with Supplymentary oxygen ,if your levels are good then with oxygen it's ok to fly ,,,but you will need oxygen ,I know you can arrange to take your own oxygen  to use on the flight ,,,,but I found it much easier to get the airline to supply it ,we used to fly with MONARCH AIRLINES. And I can't fault them ,,,yes it cost £180 ,but I was allowed on the plane first ,and it was all set up for me ,

,and the steward took care of me through out the flight ,I was cold and he got me a blanket,,,,,I thought everyone would be looking at me ,but that wasn't the case ,got me a blanket ,

the first time I needed the oxygen I was scared ,but if I was going on holiday again MONARCH would be my first choice ,oh ,and you only need the letter stating your fit to fly ,,,,,,,,with Thomson etc ,you also need a letter from your GP dated no more than 48hours before flight ,

of course make sure you declare ALL YOUR ILLNESSES on insurance ,

then enjoy your holiday ,

• Posted

Hi Panda, We used Aviva last year, they were the cheapest. My husband developed severe pneumonia and was hospitalised for 2 weeks (Spain in a private hospital) they then flew a doctor out from the UK to travel back with us , administering oxygen , booking new flights, business class for him and the Dr and private ambulance transfer 60plus miles home. We could not fault them.

Re the fit to fly certificate/GP letter, I believe that is only required when you are taking your own oxygen on board.

hope you have a good holiday.

• Posted

I'm afraid that there's a lot of misinformation around -

Insurance - technically you are not covered for "pre-existing" illnesses under most ordinary policies so look for advice & names companies offering such insurance on lung or heart foundaion & similar non-commercial web sites. Most policy proposals will ask a series of questions about your walking ability, number of medications daily and hospitalisations etc. so it's most frustrating to wade through all that then be refused. In the end we found only one company that would consider me and the single trip rate was several hundred so took the plunge for an annual. Ouch !

Yes, and beware that your spouse / partner needs to be covered under the same policy otherwise they could end up paying a great deal to be with you if you have to spend time in hospital or be repatriated. 

Oxygen on the plane - the rules on oxygen cylinders differes between airlines (and anyway, where in UK can you get hold of them privately because NHS prescribed tanks must not leave the UK ?). Best answer is to take an oxygen concentrator with you - these cost abt £150 a week to hire - to give an unlimited oxygen supply throughout the hol as well as on the flight. Thomson allow "approved" models and they are not counted as part of your hand luggage allowance.

Fitness to Fly - This will obviously depend on the idividual's condition but also the rules seem to vary between airlines. It is wise to obtain one in advance from a GP 'just in case' and, thanks to a tip from a helpful airline employee, if asked at check-in, don't reply 'no' to 'can you walk 50 yards without stopping for breath ?'

Hope that this helps !

• Posted

Hi, I use Staysure, they are reasonably priced. I have many health problems with a bag load of meds to go with!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.