Holiday stay or go?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i've posted about being under investigation for Afib but to add we have a holiday booked for the end of the month to Greece. I have annual travel insurance informed them of being under investigation and they have withdrawn cover. I am probably compromised claiming because I was at A &E in December and January with palpitations that were dismissed as anxiety/thyroid related. 

So I feel they may categorise as heart related which I didn't tick on the renewal....... So question is do I stay or do I go? I have been told I can get insurance through a local broker but not sure I'm well enough but on the other hand might be just what I need. The stress of no holiday and no refund has added to feeling ill...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Obviously it's your decision. But if I was you, I would go on my holiday. Being on holidays takes away stress & people usually feel healthier & younger. Too many people put off holidays.

    Take all your medication with you & I would imagine your fine, but these days I always check out to see where a local doctor or hospital is just in case. But I've never needed them when on holidays and feel so full of energy and revitalized being away.

    Enjoy yourself.

  • Posted

    Let me know how you get on with a local broker. I tried some a few years ago and they all said that we are never asked for travel insurance.
  • Posted

    Definitely go. AF is not life is not hard to find insurance to cover you.go to one of the comparison sites and you will see that it is not a big deal. That gave me reassurance. Take your medication and enjoy


  • Posted

    Bad luck that!  

    Suggest you try one of the insurers for people with existing medical condtions. Search on Google for travel insurance existing medical conditions. Or look up the Consummer Magazine Which Report Review on Travel insurance for those with existing medical condtions. 

    You may have a genuine claim on the annual insurance policy? You've booked your holiday and paid and have since had a medical problem?

    Whether you want to go perhaps depends on what triggers the AF? If its alcohol then a holiday without alcohol might be your idea of a nightmare holiday...


  • Posted

    I know your pain.

    Before Xmas, I booked a 10 night family holiday in Bali mark my 50th birthday last month as I had been Afib free for 10 months.

    But between Jan 11 & Feb 28, went into Afib and had to be cardioverted each time.(basically 3 times in 6 weeks)!

    On the second occasion, I agreed to have an ablation & it was booked for the 23rd of May,(after our Bali trip)

    When I went into Afib for the third time, I decided I was more important to have the ablation, than go to Bali, so brought the date forward to th 20th of April(a couple of weeks ago.

    It seems that travel insurance companies here in Australia won't include cardiac cover if you've had an unexpected hospital admition in the last 12 months. 

    I was planning a fairly active holiday (white water rafting, downhill mountain biking, snorkelling etc.) and didn't want to go if all I could do was sit around a pool and watch other people drink cocktails!

    THe airline gave me a credit for the flights, cancelled the bookings that I hadn't yet paid for. But had booked and paid for the last 3 nights in some fancy 5star accommodation (at a great non-refundable price). 

    But even so, with a letter from my cardiologist, they gave me a refund for two of three nights. So was only out of pocket $300.

    Figured that was better than running the risk of ending up in an Indonesian hospital with no travel insurance, and a massive medical bill.

    I still plan to go when I can get travel insurance ( which I hope will be in 11 months time).

    ultimately, it's your call.  If you go into Afib, and your rate is controlled, it's not that big a deal .

    My wife is super cautious and put the brakes on our holiday when I went into Afib for the third time in six weeks ( fair enough I guess?)


    • Posted


      hope you're doing well and yes Bali will still be there in 11 months.

      I haven't actually been diagnosed with Afib - have had palpitations which they are investigating I also have thyroid problems and very stressed work wise of late so lots in the mix. 

      I am waiting for holder monitor which will be 6 weeks and insurance have withdrawn cover as no actual diagnosis. Thing is in an attempt to capture the type of palpitation I have I have been to A & E twice and this shows as unscheduled hospital visit so might end up losing the lot. At the end of the day health comes first though it's just a timing thing this end

  • Posted

    Its a delema but I wouldnt go without insurance having had medical treatment in Europe and seeing the cost even with a EU health card ( you must have this !) it may be worth a word with your Doctor or consultant as they are qualified to tell you the right terms for your symptoms. An example I said the wife had low calcium as she is perscribed Calcium, seem obviouse. They loaded the insurance cost. them I was telling my Back because I have a family policy free  and this time I was more precise and said she had "Osteo P", because this means the reason for the deficiency is known ther was no extra to pay. I know a GP and asked him the logic, he said, ( it's obviouse!!) its because there are some bad medical conditions that can cause low calcium and unless they have been eminated its an unknown risk. so ask a doctor...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.