Holiday/ Vacation Anxiety and How to Cope

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since I was a teen. I’ve had bad episodes which can last for months but then it gets a bit better and under control again. The past two times I’ve had long bad episodes have been relating to going on holiday/ vacation, an episode I’m currently in right now. I came back from a trip to Florida with my family, and I feel pathetic as it’s was an amazing experience but I’ve come back so anxious it’s messed up so much of my life. I get excited to plan the holiday, but a few weeks before my anxiety starts to build and during the holiday I will be feeling low and anxious while trying to enjoy myself and not annoy my family. I’ve been back a month now and thought the constant anxiety would have passed but it hasn’t and now I’m feeling worse than ever. I can’t concentrate on work or even go on a simple walk without feeling like I’m going to faint and/or have a panic attack. The same sort of thing happened the last time I went to Florida too, when I ended up having major digestive issues and on anti-depressants for over a year after. I’m just wondering if anyone else feels like this when they go on holiday. It’s putting me off booking another one ever again because of how long I’m messed up for afterwards. I don’t want to go on holiday for two weeks and then take another year to recover and go back to “normal”. It’s really getting me down and my family are on about booking another holiday and I can’t even think of that right now and it’s very upsetting. I don’t want to just live my life without travelling, but if it’s going to take me so long to feel “normal” again afterwards I can’t see how I can go on holiday. I am seeking therapy for anxiety but this doesn’t start for another two weeks but I’m hoping it can help. It’s just in the meantime I’m very stressed out by it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve,

What obviously happens is that you are so tense in the build-up and during your holiday that you pay for it afterwards by taking a long time to recover.

Something that is very helpful for recovering from anxiety is to do some form of regular exercise and also to keep telling yourself over and over again that every physical symptom you have is a result of the tension and anxiety.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Edited

Forgot to mention in my previous reply that this is something that used to happen to me but not any longer, now after a holiday I might feel tired for 3 or 4 days when I get back but that is it.

• Edited

Thank you for replying. Definitely appreciate hearing that this happened to you but you have gotten better

• Edited

this is sort of how i feel like but not neccesarily on holiday. even though when i am off from work i still feel like i cant relax. i have a feeling like butterflies in my chest and feelings in my head that i cant explain, dr had diagnosed ibs based on anxiety, waiting for a talking therapy appointment in june. im trying to do meditation and i walk everyday and exercise 3 times a week. i dont know what else to do.

• Edited

I've also been diagnosed with IBS which is not fun. I have my first CBT session in June too, just came off medication, and still trying to stay active. Hoping we both get through this

• Edited

You are not alone. i have this. in fact now my doctor gives me diazepan for holidays and day trips. and it works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.