Holidays and copd

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I went on holiday to Greece in the summer and had problems. I could not find a current contact number for Ika Etam, who supply oxygen in Greece as a sort of NHS equivalent and all other companies were quoting me about £1000 for a two week oxygen supply. I tried getting help through my oxygen suppliers, my respiratory nurse and the British Lung Foundation as well as researching on the net. Everything gave the same number but when I rang it was wrong as it has changed and the changes were advised over the telephone in Greek. As I only speak about 6 words of Greek, I ended up doing without oxygen therapy for two weeks as the only alternative to losing my holiday. I am hoping to go away for Xmas to Egypt. Has anyone done this? I can't be the only COPD patient who likes to travel. Can anyone offer any help or advice?

Here's hoping

Jacee

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jacee,

So pleased you got your holiday. How brave of you going 2 weeks without your oxygen. I have asked around and it seems a complicated thing to arrange for oxygen when you are abroad and expensive.

I agree, if you love your holidays and are depndant on oxygen what are you to do. Hopefully someone on the site will have the answer for you.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Jacee, not sure if this is of any use as I am not an oxy user yet, but I had a look in my copd books and they gave following address;

tourismforall.org.uk/oxygensuppliers

I had a quick look myself, it lists orgs such as 'Care O2' at oxygenworldwide and airliquide.com.

Looks like a useful site for general holiday info too so have bookmarked it myself for future reference! Hope there may be something of interest for you there. Vanessa the trainee angel :angel:

• Posted

OOPS! Its me again, just to say ive been back to the tourism for all site and joined the forum. I think it would be worth you doing same as you like travel as you can ask all sorts of questions and get good advice by the look of it. vanessa
  • Posted

Thanks Venessa, this looks really useful and I have registered today.

Jacee

8)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.