Holidays and Methotrexate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I always stick within the safe alcohol guidelines and just wondered how everyone else deals with going on holiday, does anyone have a few extra? I take 8 Methotrexate once a week, thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carole

I am just starting Methotrexate but my Rheumy told me that "holiday" is maybe one or two drinks max due to the fact that Methotrexate is so hard on the Liver.  

Are you also on a TNF blocker with it? Have you found it helpful to your inflammation?

Happy Holiday! T

• Posted

Hi Carol,   feel a bit like I’m in confession but I do like my wine and when I was on methotrexate I did exceed the recommended limits. I no longer take mtx due to the effects on my lungs ( fibrosis) but my liver function tests were always fine.  That’s not a recommendation. Not something I would encourage. I never had alcohol on a daily basis but yes,  I did drink a little more than was recommended.  Carol. 
  • Posted

Carole

Thank you for sharing that. My Doctor did say there were many of her patients that refused to give up their socializing with having a drink or two.   

Good luck and Happy Holiday!

• Posted

A small whisky was always a great stress reliever after work and I still work so a wee dram wont stop but it is with more water than before, I have the occasional glass of wine and I will have a beer after a round of golf,  I am lucky not to have any issues at all with RA, I feel physically great,  I stay away from alcohol on Friday when I have my eight Methotrexate pills.    I guess the older I get the less I worry about immortality, not sure if that is normal but I'm 75.  I have had enough of the 'high' life touring with bands and it feels better to not over do it.  I cant recommend a life style Carol but allow yourself to be happy and have fun, if the after effects of the fun make you sick you cut back or abstain.................

• Posted

Hi David

Are you on a cocktail with Methotrexate? A TNF blocker? 

That is what I am on.  I am just careful.  I too, am in the music world ...and playing has become a bit more difficult but still keeping it going~ Cheers!

• Posted

Two Hydroxychloroquine with one folic acid pill daily plus eight Methotrexate on Friday,  that's it,....I have no health complaints whatsoever, so far,  so I don't know what pain and discomfort is and feel so sorry for a lot of very young folks who struggle with this apparently incurable thing.  Music writing is my passion, performing not so much these days.   Take care.

• Posted

Hi Carole

I have been on hydroxychloroquine for around 4/5 years now with no problems, until recently. I've been experiencing unbearable pain in my hands and feet so it doesn't seem to be working as well now. I saw my consultant today who said I have to go back on MTX. I kind of knew it was coming but I'm still upset about it none the less. I was on Methotrexate before the hydroxychloroquine and for various reasons came off it. The reason it upsets me about having to go back on it is because I like a social drink, I'm not a huge drinker by any means please don't get me wrong, basically I like to have a drink when I'm out, I'm a blogger too and also go to lots of events! When I was on it the first time round I did occasionally go over the drink allowance but had no issues with bloods/liver, I know it's not clever but I did do it occasionally, and again not lots of drinks but just pushing it a little. Now, if I remember rightly when holidays came around my consultant said it was okay to not take my meds for that period so I could have a 'couple' more drinks and remain within safe limits. Perhaps you could ask that question? I know I could try Sulphasalazine instead but I know in my heart that methotrexate is the way to go because it's so much more effective. 

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Steph,  are you on a biologic? If you had to come off mtx once will the same not happen again? After I had problems with mtx  I said there was no way I would go back on it.   Carol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.