Hollowed out voice box, feels like I can't speak.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Really hoping I can get some help here or some advice. I hope this is the correct forum (if not, can someone move it?)

So I've been experiencing a feeling of not being able to speak or Vocal Cord Dysphonia for around 3 - 4 months now. It is a sensation of where I cannot control the tone of how I speak or my voice. Everything comes out very monotone or like "hollowed words". At my job where I would be working my normal cashier shift, people would come up and I would engage in the usual small talk and experience these symptoms. For whatever reason every other time I would respond or try to engage I would not be able to say things the way I wanted to, I would get choked up or they wouldn't come out right. It was likened to poor timing and poor enunciation. It got so uncomfortable that I eventually had to quit and leave my job.

I don't know exactly where in the body the source of this stems from but It does feel as though it comes from either my throat or my chest. Sometimes I have a feeling of air obstruction when I breathe through my upper left throat or Larynx area, like it's a tightened feeling. Sometimes when speaking I get a feeling of not even wanting to speak or talk as it becomes that uncomfortable.

Most of the time when I look up these symptoms I get diagnosis like anxiety. This is not the case, I don't have anxiety. Anxiety is the By - product of what I have. I would be around my family or people I know and still have this syndrome. When I speak I can't speak "from the heart" and cannot execute normal emphasis on words. The way we try and persuade and communicate I have to stress and over emphasize just to make a point which can sometimes come across as having a tone or attitude. It is very deterring.

Hopefully someone can give me some feed back or advice on this issue. I am currently in the process of seeing an ENT after much pestering. My primary care doctor thought it was a side affect from my medication, I winged off of it and still had the same problems. He also wanted me to wait until Covid to see a speech therapist which didn't seem entirely forth coming. I currently only take Lithium for Depression.

I've tried my inhaler as I do have Asthma which I thought I outgrew, and running. Also stopped smoking (quit for a year prior. took it back up for 1-2 every other day for a couple months), been off them for over a week now.

If anyone can help me out or has a similar experience, I would love to hear from you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.