Holy Cow!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 14 weeks post surgery for a trimalleolar fracture and dislocation. I am not walking yet as my foot looks like a corpse within five minutes of having it down without the boot on.

So just now I decide I am just going to hop over to the bathroom and back quick and won't bother with the boot. Well, I tapped my ankle on the metal bed frame somehow. It was not a hard hit. But it was to the bony outside of the ankle and direct on a screw. My whole ankle and calf are throbbing now!! Especially the screw in the ankle. It was already hurting worse than usual do to the storms. 

No no lie this seriously is rotten!! This is just the gift that keeps on giving😩😩 I can't believe such a nothing bang can cause so much pain. It was metal hitting metal. It feels like I have broken it again. Blah. Just thought I would come on here to whine to those who understand how frustrating this can be!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Jennifer , I totally understand .  It will be 6 years this month I endured a tubular fibula fracture and I still have pain and swelling every single day.  I can barely tap my foot or ankle on something and it feels as if I’ve Rebroken it.  I now always wear some sort of protective shoe ( which shoes , boots etc) I am very limited on my selections bc I can’t bend my foot.  I have arthritis and perieneal nerve damage ( spell?). 

I am at end of my rope.  My injuries are too complicated for a total ankle replacement .  My drs tell me to be happy I have a foot.  Sometimes I wish I had gone thru worth the amputation.  I just bare thru the pain.  I elected to not take any pain meds . 

I hope u have success in getting over your ankle issues .  If u have any tips on pain management pls share smile 

• Posted

I certainly hope you do not have a new break will add you to prayer list. I broke my ankle a week ago, they have me in a huge boot. I am overweight and using the walker is hard as well. One doc says sleep in boot (which I don’t sleep) another says use a soft air splint at night. Does anyone use air soft splint to sleep in. Wishing you well Jennifer. 
    • Posted

Angela 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏 for you to heal. 

• Posted

I will be 16 weeks post op from left ankle dislocation and trimalleolar fracture. Plate and 9 screws. I am able to walk with a pronounced limp, PT 3 days a week. It can be very sensitive and sore, day to day, has a mind of its own. I elevate and ice nightly and sometimes during the work day also. Its a very long recovery process, hopefully you will be walking soon. I have been diligent with exercise and die t to keep all my other muscles strong which is key is helping your ankle regain strength. Im at about 50% range of motion up from zero after 10 weeks non weight bearing. Stay positive and hope your "bang" did not reinjure anything. Also compression sock helps tremendously. I wear one most days i am on my feet to keep swelling down.

Good luck with continued recovery.

• Posted

Cannot wait to be where you are, I'm 12 weeks since surgery and was told to walk in boot with crutches. . Lol, how? I did it, but it hurts PT Thursday. Did they also help teach you how to walk in the boot? I feel really awkward like I'm dragging my good leg.

• Posted

Jennifer, that is terrible, honestly once is bad enough however possible second is horrific. I can’t hop  since my other knee is bad I am 81. I am NOT having a friendship with is boot especially trying to sleep in it. I am so sorry you are going through this. Get better 
    • Posted

Poor thing, do you have an electric scooter? I'm in my 40's, but with the pain I felt in beginning, there was no way I could use crutches. I never had to sleep with my boot, only my cast, but when I have boot on now a few hours, I go insane - I can only imagine. 

• Posted

Kim, one doc says sleep in splint other sleep in boot.  Who is one first?????😀😀

• Posted

How long have you been injured? I got my boot at 8 weeks, told it was ok not to sleep with it. 
  • Posted

I'm 12 from surgery, 14 from fall. Black, purple, disgusting and huge, how is my foot not falling off lol?  I for one am sick of this bull. I banged ankle on my scooter yesterday, actually made me laugh at how stupid I was, don't reinjure! Unless you've endured it, no one else can understand the pain we feel. Go ahead and moan, we're here with you doing same lol.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Your post made me laugh as I am experiencing pretty much the exact same thing.  5 shades of purple is my foot the moment it gets below my waist. I have also commented...more like complained over and over about the 🔥 like symptoms I experience on the ball and top of my foot. I am 9 weeks post with the exact same injury as you.  Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

• Posted

You should have it checked out! How do you get around in your house ? I so scared I will fall. I will be on a non weight bearing cast. How do you shower, geo off toilet?  I’m getting nervous.
    • Posted

Jan I use a walker and boot. Right now I am in my recliner with boot off and icing down 😃 the boots are like ski boots, no give sleeping in it is a pain. This too shall pass, HURRY UP PASS 😂😂😂😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.