Home alcohol detox

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been seeing an alcohol worker for the past couple of months who said I would need a home alcohol detox because of how much I have been drinking. I had a home detox many years ago but I cannot remember.

I have an alcohol nurse coming to my house on Thursday morning to assess if I am suitable for the detoxification to be carried out at home, does anyone know what this will involve? She said it would last around an hour. I just want to be prepared, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They only give you one if a responsible adult can stay with you cos of the withdrawal

• Posted

Hi gill

Karen is correct. I had to be with my Husband because of possible seizures and also to supervise his meds

Kind Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

Hello Gill. Best to have another helper with you when you this and if you do it. Best of luck and you are on the right path to a cure 😁

• Posted

I've never heard of a doctor supported home. Not saying it's not legit by any means. Just can't really speak to it. Detox can be dangerous and even fatal. Having done it too many times myself (both in-patient and at home simply because I wouldn't go to detox) I'm guessing they want to assess how severe you are and determine if you need in patient. Best advice would be do not lie or hide anything. If you need to go to detox you should. For home detox I'm going to guess they will look at you... can you stop for any length of time, do you have a lot of booze around the house, do you have booze hidden, is your home safe and are supportive people there (or toxic people). Have you already stopped? The nurse will pry give you a health check. Mainly pulse, blood pressure, temp, and hydration to see if your in danger of DTs. If the nurse is licensed or if the doc has already prescribed you might get meds like ativan or valium to get you through the worst of the withdraw. This will help prevent dts, seizure, anxiety, and even craving to a degree.

Just don't hide anything. If they recommend going to detox you should pry go. At least where I live in the US, if you go voluntarily, you can leave whenever you want. The worst of detox is usually past after a few days at which point they might reevaluate and say your ok to be at home. Just be open and honest with them. If you have supportive people that can be around that's huge. Keep them close! Best of luck. Pay again! I'd be interested to hear how your visit goes and to hear how you're doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.