Home assessment

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a home assessment a few days ago, and I am really puzzled!

The gentleman who came couldn't have been nicer, really kind!  I had read up about what to expect etc., but my 'interview' was nothing like I expected!

He did not go through the questions I had to complete on my form, in fact he hardly asked me anything!  I suffer from numerous ailments, COPD, heart disease, osteoarthritis etc etc.  He didn't go through any of the questions - didn't look around my home - nothing!  He was typing on his laptop a lot of the time, and he didn't offer to show me what he had typed.  I don't know what to think tbh, should I be relieved or worried!!?

I would be really grateful to know if anyone else has experienced a home visit like this?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I've never had a home assessment but usually they're pretty much the same as any other face 2 face except in your own home.

He should have gone through your PIP form asking you about the question/answers on there so you can confirm what you said. Did he ask you any questions at all? If so what?

I don't know what to think to be honest, hopefully the decision will go in your favour. They don't usually let you see what is being typed so don't worry about that. You can ring PIP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. Once they have both copies they'll send you one. Be aware of doing this though especially before the decision has been made. Mostly the decision maker will go with the advice on the report but sometimes has been known to go against it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Janet,

like Denise, I have never had a home face to face.  Were you alone, or was someone with you?

• Posted

Hi. Did he give you his name? Were you on DLA before. I'm asking these questions as I heard of this very similar situation before? It worked out well for the lady in question do let's hope it's the same for you

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who has replied smile

Yes, I am in receipt of DLA at the moment, high rate both care and mobility.  He did give me his name and showed me proof of ID.

All he did really, was just confirm my various ailments, and looked at my list of repeat prescriptions.  I was alone when he visited, my usual carer had just left.  I was aware that he was watching me all the time, but not in a way which made me feel uncomfortable, thank goodness!

Tbh, I was suprised that I got a home visit, and didn't have to travel to goodness knows where!

I don't think I will get in touch with the DWP and ask for a copy of what he has reported - don't want to rock the boat!!  It truly wasn't what I was expecting at all!  I thought I would have to go through what I had put on the form, and would be asked loads of questions - but no!  He did tell me that it could be 5/6 weeks before I heard anything (it's like having the sword of Damocles hanging over you isn't it!) is it usual for the decision to take that long?

Thanks again for all your replies and good wishes, I really do appreciate it smile

• Posted

Hello Janet, When I had my home assessment for PIP the assessor asked me every question that was on the forms.  Then she gave me several physical tasks which I did explain to her that I was unable to do these tasks but she still insisted that I try, which I did.  A strange question she asked was which school I attended. I did think this was odd as I am 68 and have been left school for 52 years. She also asked how many children I had and their ages. Even asked me when was the last time I worked.

When the assessor came into my house my carer did explain to her that I am deaf and that he was my appointee and was responsible to answer her questions.  The assessor's response to this was that she would just have to shout. She still spoke to me & questioned me even though I told her I could not hear her clearly and may give the wrong answer as I was unable to hear everything she was asking. I did manage to catch snippets of her questions but in the end I chose to ignore her and let my carer do the talking. I wish you well and hope you get awared the benefit.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Mary xx I am so sorry you had such an ordeal.  I know some people have had terrible experiences, I just don't understand how the 'questioning' can be so different from person to person, it seems so unfair!  I do hope you are successful in your claim, it's such a worry isn't it!

• Posted

I sat in a home assessment with a service user who I worked with. Although the guy was really lovely and my service user answered all questions honestly. The decision was not good and he lost all benefits. This impacted on his mental health immensely. And he had no money for a few months. We did appeal and he won. But it's not worth the worry it causes people. Luckily for him I supported him through it. But not everyone has someone to help them. So hope everything goes ok for you and you are given what you obviously deserve.

Pam

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry your service user lost all his benefits!!!  I am very glad to hear his appeal went well - so it should!!  They just don't seem to care about the absolute hell they put people through do they!  I must admit, I am really scared and worried - just cannot understand why I wasn't ask loads of questions, or that he didn't even go through the questions asked on the form!

• Posted

When you get the decision through. Tgey should send a copy of the questions you were asked. And the score you received for each. That's what I received and both my mum (Pam) and I was astounded. As the as sewers were not the same as credit given. Hence my PIP being lowered. So just make sure you read everything. And if it bus not what you said or its different in any way. Please put AN MRI in right away. You can go on line and fill out the form. Then print it out and return to the DWP. But here's hoping you don't have to and you get your benefits. XX

Mark

• Posted

There are three sections in the report.  

The first should report your answers to the questions asked during the assessment.  This section includes medication, history of conditions, social and occupational history, functional history which is about the activities covered on the PIP claim form.  This is the only part that should be reflect exactly what you said during the assessment.  It doesn't always and the assessor might miss out something vital that would support your claim - strange that!

The next section is the examination and includes observations, possibly a mental state examination, possibly a Musculoskeletal system or Central Nervous System examination and then others such as vision, hearing, cardiovascular or respiratory.  This will depend on your conditions, some won't be done because they're not relevant.  Others won't be done because the assessor doesn't bother for some reason even though they are relevant.  One might think they don't want to find any hard evidence that would back up your claimed needs so better not to even test.

The final section is where they allocate points and this is purely based on their opinion.  They'll often completely ignore what you've said because of course they know how you're affected better than you or your doctors after meeting you for such a short period of time!  If you say you can't walk 20m they should record this in the first section but when it comes to this final section they might say that in their opinion you can walk over 200m.  They don't have to refer to what you said as it's purely their opinion that matters.  They should give their reasons but they often refer to their own observations and tests completely ignoring your claim form, what you said in the assessment and the advice that the assessment shouldn't be based on a snapshot on that one day.  This is why the answer you give don't match the points awarded.

Obviously I'm very cynical about the whole process.  I'm going through MR at the moment and finding it hard to explain again as I've already explained honestly and it's been ignored.

Janet - I suggest you do phone and get a copy of the report.  It won't rock the boat at all, it's very common for claimants to request this report a day or two after their assessent.  I'd be very interested to see what your assessor wrote in the first section which would normally be full of your answers.  I wonder if he will have taken this information directly from what was written on your claim form or whether it will be almost blank.  You could get this report within a few days and have a good idea what your award will be.  The Case Managers can go with different points, up or down, but they usually seem to stick with what the assessor ticked.  If you don't get the result you are hoping for, and you decide to go for MR, having the report already will help you get started with your MR sooner rather than having to wait for it to be sent out later.  Obviously I hope you get the result you're hoping for and the report will be simply for interest than actually being necessary.  Please keep us informed. 

• Posted

Thank you for your very helpful reply!  I will definitely keep you up to date with what happens.  I do hope all goes well for you - it really is hell isn't it!!

• Posted

Hi Scally. I'm also cynical. I'm also awaiting MR decision. Rang today to find out their waiting for the medical evidence they've asked for. My mum.has Ben a star in all if this. As she was with me a my assessment. So she wrote a letter telling them the assessor lied. As my report made out as if I'm totally ok. Which I'm obviously not. Was already on middle rate PIP and low rate mobility . But now on basic PIP. And I have been diagnosed with MS. So this is just doing my head in. But I hope everything goes ok for all of you. Good luck.

Mark

• Posted

Hi Janet

I`ve never had a home visit but attended an assessment.

It is interesting that the assessor didnt ask questions. This could be useful and important when you receive the response from the DM (decision maker) who may refer to what the assessor saw or noted about you. When you get the DM report phone DWP and ask for a copy of the assessor`s report. Check what is on that with what the DM says. This is only my suggestion and I dont want to add to any stress but merely think that this could help if you have to request your claim to be reconsidered.

I wish you good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Steve and Mark smile

Phew, I will be SO glad when I know what's happening.  How long after the assessment was it before you heard anything?

So grateful for all the replies, thank you everyone! xxx

• Posted

Decision times vary entirely on your area and on the backlog. There's really no time scope for any decision. It can be anything from 1-8 weeks, sometimes longer.

• Posted

Flippin'eck!  I'll be climbing the walls if it takes that long wink  I've been a nervous wreck ever since these damn changes were introduced!

Does anyone know if you can apply for the 'benefit' weekly, or does it HAVE to be monthly?  I pay carers each week, so monthly would really mess with my head!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Denise smile

• Posted

Hi Janet. It was 2 weeks after my assessment. I received the decision. So hope your not waiting long. XX

Mark

• Posted

I'm afraid not sorry. It's paid every 4 weeks, no one's paid weekly.

• Posted

Thanks again Mark and Denise smile  I hope I hear quickly!  I'm going to have to get someone to help me sort my finances!  My DLA was paid weekly!

I don't know whether to be relieved or worried that he didn't ask any questions or go through the form!  I know of someone who went for and assessment was grilled for over an hour!!!

• Posted

Hi again Janet

To pick up on a comment you made. You wrote that you will need to get someone to help you sort out your finances. This could be useful. As I said before when you get the DM response note what score you have been given in each category. You will see one deals with budgetting money. Also check what the DM says as to his reasons. Get a copy of the Assessors report and see what he said in this respect. If it says you can budget then you may be able to refute this because of needing help to sort out your finances. Again this is only my suggestion and I`m sure if this is not good advice others will correct me.

As for you hearing that assessments have lasted over an hour, yes that is true. My f2f lasted almost an hour and a half.

Good luck and hope you hear soon.

• Posted

If making budgeting decisions wasn't one of the reasons for the PIP claim then Janet won't be able to ask for this to be considered if an MR is needed.

• Posted

You could always pay your carer in advance when you recieve PIP payment if you're awarded. In all honesty i've never known DLA payments to be paid to anyone weekly. Usually it's paid the same as PIP every 4 weeks.

• Posted

Thank you Denise, and thank you to everyone who has replied, I really do appreciate it smile

• Posted

Hi Janet I have my assessment next week can't wait just to get it done and out of way.

• Posted

Good luck Paul!  I do hope it goes well for you and you get a positive result! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.