Home Monitors for Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi  all,

I am one of the lucky ones, hopefully, and had an internal Cardioversion in February which was successful first attempt.  When I saw the consultant for a follow up a few days ago he suggested I get a monitor to use at home as the fibrillation could come back any time.

Can anyone recommend a monitor that does not cost too much, I have had a look and there are so many to choose from and many need a smart phone to use it with which bumps up the cost too much for me as a pensioner and I really do not want to buy a smart phone as well.  Just want something simple and reliable.

Many thanks - Gill

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gill,

?I use a 'Microlife' Watch BP Home. It is a home blood pressure monitor, which, in addition to giving blood pressure readings will also give a reading indicating that you are/or have been in AF. It is one of several brands approved by the UK Health Authority, NICE.

Not sure of the price. I think Omron produce a similar device. not sure.

?With the 'Microlife' it will record up to 250 readings then you have to down load the data to a computer. This then will enable you to print a hard copy which you can then take to your GP. It will show both blood pressure and AF.

To set it all up you need to be a bit computer savvy, so if this isn't you, maybe someone in your family or a friend can assist in the set up.

Well worth the investment.

John

• Posted

Hi Gill - 

I have been using a basic Boots BP monitor for over four years - it has an "irregular heart rate" indicator which enables AF to be monitored. Boots seem to have changed their models and specifications somewhat - looks like you now need to pay £34.99 for a monitor with irregular hear rate detection. There's another more sophisticated version at £44.99 which may be worth consideration. 

I find that when I am in AF it's best to take three readings and average them - both BP and heart rate are very variable when in AF.

Of course, if you are not in the UK Boots will not be much use to you ...

• Posted

I've been using a Microlife BP A200 AFIB for the last two and a half years. It's been 100% reliable on the three occasions that I've gone into Afib over this time (two of those times I had no idea that I was in Afib!). Paid around $180 for it here in Australia.   Have had no issues with it and would happily get another if this one stopped working (although I'd probably do a bit of research first to make sure nothing better had come on the market since I'd bought this one.

• Posted

The one I have and like alot is Kardia Alivecor. It links to your phone. It is small. Outputs a ECG equal to a one lead ecg. It gives you a result of afib or unclassifed and your bpm. I had an unclassified so I emailed it to thier doctors and within24 hours for a fiver have a detailed account of what was happening. In that case tachicardia. I find it very reassuring. I know when to take meds and when to go to A&E.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.