Home remedies that just might work for prostate issues ...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Nothing new here guys, except to say that I've recently taken these strategies seriously, and they seem to be working, or at least giving me some relief. 

(1)

Couldn't understand why I always felt like I had to pee, but I drank so little.  And that IS the problem.  Seems counter-intuitive, but the less water we drink, the greater the urge to pee, and here's why:  without enough water, urine becomes concentrated.  Quite the paradox!  To crunch things down to a bumper sticker, waste materials become diluted in the presence of sufficient water.  Without sufficient water, this same waste material has a way of irritating the bladder lining which, in and of itself, may create a brain / bladder connection.  Not qualified to say that it definitely does or doesn’t.

(2)

I decided to nix caffeine.  When I made that decision, I wasn't aware of just how addicted I was.  Had a sledgehammer headache for three days.  The first symptom that abated after the cessation of all caffeine was a calmer bladder and less nocturia.  Moreover, I don't think I'm going to miss the antidiuretic effects nor the acids in caffeine. 

(3)

For two weeks I've become my own chemistry experiment, inasmuch as I've eaten as much broccoli as possible.  Supposedly, one of the main metabolites in crucifers is something called sulforaphanes, which is extremely prostate friendly.  I've also put horseradish on everything, because it's supposed to be the strongest crucifer.

(4)

While I'm not obese, I am overweight.  It seems as though the more weight I lose, the more the prostate symptoms apparently abate.

(5) 

I'm exercising more.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not exactly killing myself at the gym.  For now, I’m at 34 minutes on a treadmill daily.  Incline of eight / speed of 3.8 mph. This strategy puts me above those proverbial "10,000 steps" at exactly two miles.  After all, the AHA recommends “22 minutes of daily moderate activity.”  Come on!  Aside from angina / CHF patients, everyone should be able to do this.

That's it, guys.  Five simple strategies, and I'm sticking with them:

1)  Stay hydrated

2)  Nix the caffeine

3)  Eat more cruciferous vegetables

4)  Maintain a healthy weight

5)  Exercise

Though there is no medical advice in the aforementioned, I'd be interested in hearing from one of the urologists on here regarding these strategies.

Finally, I'd also be more interested in hearing from my brothers-in-suffering that have tried other strategies with some success.  Hope this helps someone.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Alan.  Glad you took the time to do some work.  I had the Urolift done 3 years ago and it is working pretty good.  5 years ago I was 340 pounds.  Had a lot of problems.  2 years ago I was 260.  That is when I started to start watching what I ate  I had to cut down.  Been losing for the last couple of years.  It was medical but I don't eat the way I use to.  Had a-fib, High blood pressure, I'm a diabetic I was the type that I grow up and was told not to waste food.  Well when my kids did not eat all there food I finish there plus mine.  You can't do that They final found out what is wrong.  I have Celiac Disease.  i watch what I eat now and I fellow a diet that my Urologist gave me.  There are a lot of things that irritate the bladder.  been on it for about a year.  Doing fine.  My sugar is under control I take no BP pills and my A-fib is gone  Had a 9 hour ablation a year ago  no problem.  I have been staying at 175 and taking day by day.  If we what to live longer and keep from under the knife we have to take control of our life.  Have a great day  Ken 

• Posted

Alan, you appear to be everything right and all I would suggest is to throw Saw Palmetto into the equation.

Nothing will stop the rate of growth of prostate tissue but SP will go a long way to slow the rate.

The longer you can stay away from pharmaceuticals and surgery the better but when symptoms become tiresome and begin to seriously affect the quality of your life, as they will with the passage of time, don't resist the need to find a medical solution.

God luck with whatever route you choose to go down, if any.

• Posted

I have not seen any studies that support the benefits of Saw Palmetto.  Do you know of any you can reference?  I'm not trying to be snarky.  I took it for many years and obviously it "didn't work" for me.  But I would try it again if there was any science to support it. 

• Posted

There is zero credible evidence saw palmetto has any beneficial effect on BPH or prostate health. None. Unfortunately a perpetually touted folk remedy that is nothing but a waste of time and money. Side note- I own a nutritional supplement company and have never once considered foisting that crap on my trusting customers!.
    • Posted

I'm well aware of the lack of peer reviewed trials on Saw Palmetto however, looking at the facts pertaining to the "saw palmetto berry" there is no disputing it contains a naturally occurring androgen blocker.

My relationship with saw palmetto over a continuous 8 year period was good.  No side effects at all and most definitely a reduction in the progression of prostate growth.

The choice is their for anyone to make, either saw palmetto or one of the pharmaceutical alternatives such as Finasteride or Dutasteride with possible side effects.

Finally, all the urologists I have consulted over the years with the exception of one have all been positive in their comments on Saw Palmetto and supported my use of it.

Make of it what you will. 

• Posted

Alan I'm curious, you mentioned horseradish. Do you eat horseradish and if so doesn't the heat irritate your prostate? 

• Posted

Forgot to mention, I had a friend that claims his Atkins/Keto diet shrunk his prostate. Definitely anecdotale evidence but do we really know???> Could have been the wieght loss

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for the common sense and achievable recommendations. Things within our control. Inspired.
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing, Alan.   I've been taking Finasteride and found that i can skip 1 pill every four days.   Had to start taking meds after endoscope performed  which caused infection and blockage.    Perhaps I  will follow your plan and see if I can cut back more. I've been off FloMax for a few years but keeping it handy in case I run into trouble.  Will post results.  Thanks again.    

• Posted

That seams like a plan.  Maybe you can try just taking the FloMax once a week.  I have some handy to.  Don't like taking them but.  we do what we have to  Have a good day  Ken

• Posted

Here are some more things that will help your prostate.

1.apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon in water twice a day(I use Heinz unfiltered all natural.)

2.Zinc gluconate 50-100mg.

3.Red tomatoes contains lycopine .

• Posted

Good to hear from you. Your program is like what decided to try. The caffine seems to be a great help with out drugs which just dystroyed my labido. I need to drop 15# for ideal weight also visits to the gym when I can.
  • Posted

I had one turp.I hope i will not another one.
    • Posted

I had one turp,I hope I will not need another one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.