Home Remedy for Bartholin Cyst that WORKS!

Posted , 108 users are following.

I'm 24 and starting getting bartholin cysts just over a year ago. It has recurred at least 6 or 7 times, and I have had an Incision and Drainage performed twice, one under local anesthetic and once under general. I can't stress enough, GET THE GENERAL! The needle with the anesthetic was BEYOND painful, and I'm not ashamed to admit I screamed bloody murder when they cut the thing open! Hands down, the most painful experience of my life. With the general, I experienced zero pain and no memory of the procedure.

Yesterday, to my horror I felt the familiar hardened bump start to rise. Today at work, where I sit at a desk all day, the pain went from tolerably uncomfortable to unbearable. After being driven to the ER and speaking with a doctor, I decided to forgo the surgery, or at least postpone it, and give home remedies one last try. In my searches through forums and websites, I saw the same remedy mentioned a few times: Phoebe's Cure. I decided I had nothing to lose, drove to the pharmacy, and picked up the necessary ingredients: a bottle of calamine lotion, a bottle of witch hazel, a bottle of tea tree oil, and a roll of gauze. At this point, it was about 5:00 in the afternoon. I drove home, drew myself a hot bath and added Epson salts, and sat for about 20 minutes. When I got out, I soaked the gauze in a mixture of 6 oz of calamine lotion, 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, and 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil. The recipe actually only asks for 1 teaspoon of the latter two ingredients, but at that point I was almost hysterical with pain so I figured, go big or go home. I soaked the gauze in the mixture, then covered the cyst (likely an abscess at this point) with the gauze, held in place with my underwear. I left this for about 40 minutes, swapped for a hot compress for about 10 minutes, then applied another soaked gauze for about 30 minutes. At this point, I couldn't even help crying from the pain. I took a painkiller, and drew myself another hot bath, this time using table salt instead of Epson salts. I stayed in again for about 20 minutes, then restarted the cycle of changing the soaked gauze every 30 minutes or so. I could feel the cyst growing in size and getting even harder, and I noticed the mixture in the gauze was causing some stinging. At around 9:00, about 3 and a half hours after I drew the first bath, (WARNING, this is gross! Please do not read past this point if you are squeamish!) I was lying on the couch and suddenly felt liquid drip down. I put some mild pressure on the gauze, then went to the bathroom to see what was going on. Full disclosure, I'm also on my period right now, making it extremely difficult for me to tell exactly what was going on. I pulled the gauze away and sure enough there was a large spot of pus about as big as a Canadian Twoonie. I wanted to cry in relief, but didn't let myself believe I was out of the woods yet. I swapped for a new gauze again, left it, checked again, and sure enough, more pus. I put pressure on the spot where it seemed to be originating from with the gauze, and when I pulled it away, more pus. I cried with absolute relief.

I have never, ever found a home remedy that was even remotely effective for this ailment or any other. I am BLOWN AWAY at how effective this was! Let me preface this by saying I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I believe this worked by bringing the pus to the surface of the abscess until it finally burst. The originating spot of the pus was the spot that had become the hardest and probably the most painful point on the abscess over the three and a half hours of changing gauzes.

If you experience painful bartholin cysts or abscesses, PLEASE give this a try! Absolutely worth it!

10 likes, 190 replies

190 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello! I know this post is quite old but this was one of the first things that popped up when I searched for home remedies for these buggers. Let me start off by saying that I’m 21 and have had 3 of these in the last year. I wanted to say that I tried this method and unfortunately it was unsuccessful and you all know the alternative.... drainage by a gyno.... I will say that this is only because according to the ultrasound tech who did an ultrasound on my swollen vagina that the infection has walled itself off with a thick barrier. Because of this info, I realized there was no way this remedy could have worked because apparently my abscess is worse than usual, partly due to this being the 3rd time. I only added this reply for those who were curious to see if it works for everyone and unfortunately my luck is crap and I was one of the few. But I will say, it did begin to work by bringing the infection more to the surface so I would most definitely give it a shot because why not!! Also, if you’re wondering, I am scheduled for surgery next week for them to put me under general anesthesia and cut it open and dig out the previous abscess that is causing this mess. Hopefully after it is completely removed by force, it will no longer return. Thanks for reading and good luck to you all! 
    • Posted

Hi elizabeth.. your right.. all pus at first are covered with a thick wall of skin.. specially if the cyst is still small.. girls here wait for a few hours, few days for thinning of the wall. Once the cyst are bloated, its just like a balloon that pops on its own when its already full of liquid.. now, the pheobes cure would help on thinning of the skin, and drawing the pus on the surface. Also acts as antibacterial once the cyst popped. To prevent all possible infections .IT JUST HAVE TO GET WORST BEFORE IT GETS BETTER.. YOU NEED TO BE PATIENCE AND BARE ALL THE PAIN FIRST BEFORE YOU GET THE RESULT..

It would be very hard for everyone, but i believe that nature's cure is all the best.. god created the world without chemical medicines and surgeons. But yet, old folks survived without it, and lived hundreds of years. Anyway, this pheobes cure is just for those who doesnt have that lot of money to spend in hospital. Because doing the surgery with chemical medicine surely an instant relief, but the cyst will definitely will come back anytime. But using the antibacterial epsom + warm water does it works perfectly inside and outside of the wall of your vagina. Addition of tea tree oil. It penetrates the antibacterial effect and will surely kill all the bad bacteria inside and outside too.. thats why, cyst/infection is almost impossible to come back. I hope it helped. Godbless smile

• Posted

Thought I’d update: after about a week of having the cyst the pain was unbearable. To the point where if I had to go pee I’d have to prepare ahead of time, waddle as fast as possible to the toilet, pee, lay back down, and be in EXTREME pain for the next 5 minutes which would then slowly taper off back to what it wasn’t previously. Easily the most pain I’ve ever felt in my entire life. After about 24 hours of this, suddenly, it popped! All by itself!! I can’t say for sure what actually led to it as the gyno had drained it (unsuccessfully) multiple days before this. Either way, I’m feeling much better and the swelling has decreased dramatically and I went from oxycodone every 4 hours to absolutely no pain killers at all, not even ibuprofen. I would say that this cure is definitely worth a try as even though it didn’t fully work for me I think it helped in some way and getting it to pop on its own is a much better solution as I found it drains more fully and the relief is instant! Of course if it just is not working, surgery would be the next option. I’m pretty sure I will still go for the surgery on Friday as it is more to take out the previous abscess so it won’t return again. Best of luck to you all!!
  • Posted

I'm 20 and I'm pretty sure I have a BC. I'm really scared to go to the doctor to get it looked at. I have no insurance and I honestly don't have much money. Mine is maybe as big as a pea and it's not painful. At the beginning it was more of an irritation feeling and it has mostly gone away. The reason I'm scared to go is because my boyfriend got an abscess on his buttock and he's currently in the ER, I'm not sure what's going on right now and I'm so scared. I read that this can happen by some STD's and I'm scared he gave me one. We've always used protection but there has been skin-to-skin contact~ ahem ~ down there. He's been my only sexual partner so I know if I do have an STD, it came from him. I know I should get it checked out but I have no money and I'm so scared. I read somewhere that if the cyst isn't painful or big, I should just leave it alone, can someone please tell me if I should do Phoebe's method anyway? Also, I read that when you drain it at home it leaves a hole and some comments made it seem like the hole stays for a long time and that scares me so much. It said surgery was better but, again, I have no money for that. If it does drain and I'm left with a hole, how do I treat that? How do I keep that clean from urine? Am I supposed to wear a gauze until it heals? Does it heal? Around how long? Does it look like before when it heals? I apologize for all these questions but I'm just really scared, this is my first time getting this and I hope it's my last. I'm really hoping someone replies quickly. sad

• Posted

Hi moon luna..

Dont panic smile and dont be scared.

That hole is just small hole as tiny as ant.. smile

If your bc is not painful, it means its not infected. As of now, there is nothing to worry about. All you can do is to avoid it from getting infected. Skip from sex for a while, always clean that area. Dont wear too tight undies, dont let it get wet. Always wash with water + tea tree oil. Take a sitz bath if u have time. Always take a bath. And try to drink garlic + ginger + turmeric tea smile

I hope it helped. smile

Dont forget to pray smile

• Posted

I just wanted to give a possible tip, three years ago I had ended up getting a couple of bartholin cysts a year only on the left side bar one that was on the right side. Mine grow quickly and explode after going through hell, this is a pain only women that get these can understand, it is horrifying as you all know. But after taking antibiotics as my cysts have been known to diminish if caught early and explode without fuss days later. Unfortunately I was too late with this one three years ago so after it grew, after some hell it exploded. Weeks later I had pain there, it was only my gp who has a diploma in obgyn that she said I had thrush. After taking the medication and needing it a second time I was free of these painful cysts for three years. I get little cysts all over my vagina.

A month ago after wearing ill advised tight pants I had another cysts in the vagina region. I refused to take antibiotics knowing that only increases the chances of thrush. But it took over three thirds of by left labia after going through that tight cycle it likes to go through which means the cyst is at its peak it took another 30 hours to feel that tightness again and it exploded. There is nothing more joyous when that happens, it took five days to fully drain. When I was going through this I read this thread instead of tumeric started taking magnesium it is easier to get for me.

A week and a half ago again I could feel something brewing in the same spot. I had taken thrush medication and used the cream the day after it exploded. With my burst cysts I smell candida when they explode. At that moment I wasn't sure if it was thrush irritating my labia or a cyst. Sometimes it takes two goes to get rid of it. It hit me that there are women that have had their bartholin glands removed and still get cysts so I spoke to my pharmacist. She gave me a suggestion that if I feel a cyst in that area to rub the thrush cream on the affected area. Again I took the pill but continued rubbing the cream which is by Canistan. Which I started doing for a week three other cysts burst but this one stayed on the surface making me think I had thrush again. So I took the pill but every day it became a bit worse but only stayed to the surface. Three mornings ago it was obvious that it was a cyst but only continued growing on the surface. It was unpleasant two nights ago to sleep because it went tight but I was still able to put my legs together, though the left labia grow it was not tight other then the surface cyst which was obviously infected as I felt sick as I normally do when these happen. I took eichnea after the tightness subsided my labia went back to normal and the cyst seemed slightly smaller. So I went to sleep upon waking up it was still uncomfortable three hours I started walking silly because it became tight again but hadn't grown in the night. At midday it exploded there was none of that hell I had to go through previously.

This is not tested but I hope this may help some of you because if I hadn't done that I would have been in hell at this moment. Maybe the magnesium helped which was thanks to Victoria's suggestion along with the eichnecia. The thrush cream seems to work in a similar way that magnesium salt baths do. If I ever get a cyst again I will post an update on this.

I went through seven of these so called bartholin cysts with a cycle of antibiotics before changing my gp who realised I had thrush. Which gave me three years of peace and an easy last week. This made me realise there was a pattern, when it was becoming summer, was close to a period and if I went over a certain weight (I am losing some extra blubber I got) they seem to cause thrush which increases my chances of getting these cysts. The bartholin gland removal surgery is supposed to be no picnic, since people still get cyst without these glands there may be another cause. I am not a doctor and though I have only tried this once, it is such hell to go through this, I just wanted to pass on my pharmacists helpful suggestion. As well I take two probiotics a day which was a left over remnant of the antibiotic cycles. In the last month have changed my diet. I hope this helps one of you guys :-) 

• Posted

Its been a year since you had posted about your cyst..i just want to know that have it recurred again... I was freaked out to find about the cyst last year it had recurred 3 time for 2 months.... Probably because of my immune system.. I and D was worthless.. It again occured within month... I still feel quite relieved that i am not the only one here suffering from this hellish thing....Phoebe's cure sounds effective. I will definitely give it a try.

• Posted

Its been a year since you had posted about your cyst..i just want to know that have it recurred again... I was freaked out to find about the cyst last year it had recurred 3 time for 2 months.... Probably because of my immune system.. I and D was worthless.. It again occured within month... I still feel quite relieved that i am not the only one here suffering from this hellish thing....Phoebe's cure sounds effective. I will definitely give it a try.

• Posted

Hi ladies. I’ve been dealing with bartholin gland cysts for over ten years now... I’m 29 and they usually happen like clockwork every 2 years. But right now I have my second cyst in the last 7 months. This is probably my 5th or 6th one and only once has it burst on its own.. all other times I crawled to the OBGYN and had them lanced/word carhetor for a month. I’m sure you’d all agree that I am trying to do everything to make this b***h pop on its own before going to the doctor as a last resort. I’m on day three and have been taking Serrapeptase regularly and other vitamins... today all day I’ve been doing turmeric/coconut oil on a cotton pad for a few hours, then salt/baking soda on a pad... took a bath... now I have tea tree oil and coconut oil on a pad. I’m pretty sure it’s coming to a head because it’s protruding out of the labia and is a tad soft. Defititley is worse than yesterday, but the pain is moderate and not as bad as it has been in the past. I feel kind of helpless right now and pray this thing will pop before work tomorrow... it saddens me that theres not much research on this except “just remove the gland”. I am going to fork out some money and see a homeopathic doctor soon. This has to be something I need to cure from the inside. Been reading a lot that probiotics and a clean diet have a huge factor in this. Pray for me that this thing goes soon! Just happy I’m not alone in this as all of you ladies have suffered too (my best friend gets them too- so strange) 
  • Posted

I wanted to tell you and all the other posters thank you for sharing this!!! Phoebes cure worked for me!!!

Background - I had my first be about 3 years ago but it didn’t bother me so my OB recommended I leave it alone.. This past December it became intolerably painful to where I couldn’t walk, sit, lay, stand .... I went to the doctor and they lanced it. A week later it was back. This time they landed it and put in a word catheter. The catheter was awful and jabbed into my lady parts for days. I never wanted to go through any of that again.

I was broken hearted when another popped up last week - 6 weeks since the last. I called the OB and thy agreed to call me in a prescription (Friday) but told me to come in Tuesday (tomorrow) if it hadn’t burst. I started Phoebe’s Cure Friday evening along with the antibiotics. Saturday evening it burst on its own. I was seriously gleeful! I followed exactly what OP recommended.

I will say it gets agonizing before it bursts. Hours before it burst I wasn’t sure I could last. It was awful and I couldn’t do anything without pain. 

Since it burst I’ve been doing Epsom salt baths twice a day and continuing with the antibiotic. (I massage the area and apply pressure to push anything out of it.) So far, no more cyst!!

I really appreciate you sharing your story and hope it helps many other ladies cursed with BC!

• Posted

Hey guys! 

So I just wanted to comment to check back in because the last time I commented on here I had an abscessed BC and was trying to use the Phoebes cure. Unfortunately I couldn’t stand the pain and did not have any pain killers to withstand the pain til it popped so I ran to the OBGYN and had it laced on Friday because I knew I couldn’t stand the pain the whole weekend and didn’t want to take the chance because I have two toddlers that I have to take care of. I just wanted to share some info with all of you ladies. Before I decided to go to the doctor, I had called a naturopathic doctor and she suggested lymph 1 acute drainage remedy and inflamma-fox drainage remedy. I never used them so I can’t tell you if it actually works or not but that is what she suggested. So,  another thing that I wanted to mention, is that every time I’ve got my BC  drained, the  dr. told me there were multiple loculations or pockets and these pockets all had to be drained or else the cyst would come back within a day or two which happened to me probably two or three times that I got it drained including this last time. Last thing I want to say, is that it’s truly frustrating that there aren’t more studies on these and that the causes aren’t really known but I truly believe that mine come when I am very stressed out and my immune system is low. So to try to prevent them I just try to keep my stress down immune system up. I didn’t have any for three years and I Know that mine are caused by stress. I hope everyone feels better and it’s nice to know that we’re not alone. 

• Posted

Hi guys,

Take what I’m saying with a pinch of salt, because what worked for me may not work for you. 

I’ve been treating these like massive pimples. Which means when I feel the bump start, I clean it with acne cleanser, and stick an acne patch over it. The acne patch sometimes ends up looking like a nipple patch cos the bump is like 2-3x the size, but that’s okay. 

I’ve found that the acne patches that work for my face also work “down under”, while the ones that don’t, similarly have no effect. 

I’m on this forum because I ran out of my usual brand of patches (can’t find it anywhere in the shops), and after 2 days of NexCare patches (these don’t even work on my face, but I couldn’t find anything else), the swelling expanded to the size of a small grape and started really hurting, which has never before happened to me. Usually it bursts or subsides much earlier after the acne patch treatment. 

As it turns out, NexCare may not have been ENTIRELY useless because the abscess burst today, after some (uncomfortable) walking. Of course, it waited until I had purchased the ingredients for Phoebe’s cure to do it. 

I can honestly say this is the first time I even learned the name of the problem. Previously, I’d always simply assumed it was an infection due to over-enthusiastic scrubbing in sensitive areas, and it’d always gone away after my “pimple treatment”. 

I just wanted to share because I notice several of the commenters are sensitive to the astringent effect of Phoebe’s cure, and this might be a workable alternative if smaller or caught early.  

• Posted

My abcess is now about the size of two eggs. I have never experienced anything more painful in my 25 years. It began hurting late memorial day (after I was waist deep in creek water, go figure). I've been using tumeric/coconut oil and then baking powder/salt/apple cider vinegar for three days now. My skin is raw. I know this is going to hurt immensely, but I'm about to try Pheobe's cure. I don't know what else to do. My insurance is solely based in Houston (I'm in Dallas), and I don't think I could bear the 3.5 hour drive (or the medical bill, even with insurance). Fingers crossed this abscess from hell is gone in the morning and I can finally return to the world of the living.

• Posted

Omg michelle I’m so sorry I know it’s the worst pain ever. Take some pain meds if you are able to. My naturopath recommended lymph 1 acute drainage remedy and inflamma tox drainage remedy. If you can order those I would also try that. Hope you feel better soon and please update us! 
    • Posted

Thanks, girl. Still waddling in agony. It is turning purple in areas though, so I'm trying to convince myself to do another round...even though those 30 minutes are treacherous.

• Posted

IT BURST! Praise God! I was crying in desperation after going another round/bath, laying on the couch. I told my boyfriend to let the dogs out of their kennels and they come running out to greet me. I was bracing myself, but clearly misjudged the power of my big dog. Needless to say, he jumped up and his front paw landed right on it. I let out a blood curling scream and immediately started sobbing. After a couple minutes I gathered myself and continued to lay on the couch. (This parts gross) I started to smell a disgusting odor and I kept trying to figure out where it was coming from. I finally narrowed it down to something under my blanket. Was I farting? Nope. I got up, felt something somewhat wet, ran to the bathroom, and then started sobbing in relief when I realized it was FINALLY open. I squeezed what I could out and am planning another sitz bath in an hour to get more out. I hope this sucker disappears and never comes back. 6 days of horror.
    • Posted

Omg so happy for you! I know it’s definitely such a relief! Now relax and try not to stress! Build your immune system back up!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.