Honest paxil/paroxetine experiences and blips please....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I've been on Paroxetine 30mg for 8 weeks now and suffered a blip on Friday, has definitely set me back. Feel like I'm back to square one again with the anxiety and depression.

Before this I was on Paroxetine 20mg for a year and a half but tried to come off them. Following bad advice from the doc I had a horrendous episode.

I've read that paroxetine the second time around can be not as effective but I never really quit cold turkey.

I've also read that it can take some people 2,3 months to level out.

Just want some honest feedback and advice please x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I just wanted to reply because I know what it feels like to want an "answer"... Someone to listen. I can't tell you why there is a "blip", but I can tell you it's been a long road for myself. It took 12 weeks for me to feel normal on Zoloft in 2006. Now, I'm struggling with poop out. 😭 It sucks, I get it! (((Hugs)))
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I can't stop googling stuff, I must have read the same pages like 100 times. I know everyone has different experiences, but I keep reading stories where people have felt better in the 4-6 stage and because I'm now at 8 weeks it just makes me think it's not working. I have definitely had better days but when I get a blip, its like all that has been forgotten and I've felt like this the whole time. Its hard because I'm a single mum to an 18m daughter and I'm pressuring myself to get better for her. It's just very hard!! xx
    • Posted

Very understandable. Definitely ask your Dr. But, this brings up something I noticed the last time I dealt with this and KNOW I should enforce it again... Stop googling stuff. Last time I spent days on the Internet and it wasn't until my husband took my computer away and I started doing yoga and walking on my treadmill (only in my house) did I start to feel better. This time around I even posted a note on my computer to not look up stuff, but I haven't been able not to. sad My husband even told me to stop again that it was a slippery slope. He's right. We are each our own individual and we each respond differently to things. I've implemented Headspace (it's free for the first 10 days) and started doing some yoga / walking on my treadmill again. I made some affirmations on notecards and placed them around my house. Maybe some of these things will get you out of ruminating about the "what if's"? Journaling also helps!!! I've been keeping a RX side effect and mood journal. Feel free to message me. I think everyone going through this needs to talk. 😊
  • Posted

I don't ever recommend coming off these types of drugs cold turkey. There can be devastating side affects. You should always consult your whoever is trearing u. Having anxiety can be so debilitating 😳
    • Posted

Exactly,  you are essentially building up a medication in your body to aid in increase seretonin, your feeling good chemistry.  When you quit taking you medications, you are causing your brain to have less of this.  One should always consult their doctors about getting off the medication, called weening.  So there is no abrupt return of syptoms or worse symptoms.
  • Posted

It can take 2-3 months to fully build up in your system.  I have switched of my paxil onto another drug and back on to paxil. There is no true science to back up the fact that if you try one medication, get off of it. And it doesn't work again.  Give it time, and make sure you are doing things to help with your anxiety/depression in the mean time.  Medications are not a silver bullet, they are to assist with aiding brain chemistry to get balance.  The real work is finding ways to cope with anxiety/depression.  These things you can gain from going to counseling to learn how to deal with thoughts and feelings that are root cause of the anxiety depression.  Thoughs are powerful things, when we tell ourselves we can do something, alot of people won't even try it.  That shows you how powerful thought is.  When we try to look at things with a positive outlook, and try to disprove our belief systems.  That is where the progress is!
  • Posted

It can take 2-3 months to fully build up in your system.  I have switched of my paxil onto another drug and back on to paxil. There is no true science to back up the fact that if you try one medication, get off of it. And it doesn't work again.  Give it time, and make sure you are doing things to help with your anxiety/depression in the mean time.  Medications are not a silver bullet, they are to assist with aiding brain chemistry to get balance.  The real work is finding ways to cope with anxiety/depression.  These things you can gain from going to counseling to learn how to deal with thoughts and feelings that are root cause of the anxiety depression.  Thoughs are powerful things, when we tell ourselves we can do something, alot of people won't even try it.  That shows you how powerful thought is.  When we try to look at things with a positive outlook, and try to disprove our belief systems.  That is where the progress is!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.