Hoovering!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am due for my surgery in February sometime and I am getting together a journal for all the do's and don'ts and to see my recovery progress.  The one thing I cannot seem to find  a sensible answer to, is when can I hoover again!  I have a home help booked for 5 weeks (my poor husband too ill and I don't want him messing his heart up by doing too much!) I realise it is probably different for everyone but I keep hearing horror stories, and I really do not want to mess up, as I am doing my utmost to be 100% fit at the end of this period of recovery.  Can anyone help please?  Happy New Year to you all.  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi are you having surgery ? If so hoovering  may be a little longer than 5 weeks best to take it slow to recover better. No lifting or bed making your body will soon tell you if its a no go. 
    • Posted

Hi Liz, many thanks for the advice.  My surgery will be sometime in February, so I am gathering as much information as I can to have a good recovery.  Obviously hoovering is a big deal so I will not be doing that until I know it is absolutely safe.  Don't want to mess up my recovery in any way.  Warmest wishes Jacqui 
  • Posted

I don't know for sure but I would guess it's going to be similar to heavy lifting as it's all to do with using your stomach muscles x
    • Posted

Hi Luckymum, thanks for the advice.  Never thought of hoovering as heavy lifting, but it makes sense now.  Will keep away from the hoover until it is 100% safe.  Warmest wishes Jacqui 
  • Posted

No lifting of anything heavier that a litre of water as lots of internal stitches to heal and takes longer. No twisting, bending, stretching, brushing - nothing strenuous. Takes 6 - 8 wks at least before doing much after op. Build up fitness levels before going in for op and after it small gentle walks gradually building up again. Main thing is listen to your body as everyone recovers at different rates. If you feel pain stop doing what you are doing as you could damage healing tissues...
  • Posted

Hi there, good for you for gathering all the info beforehand, hoovering isn't really allowed for about 6 weeks it is as someone else has said similar to lifting, a friends sister didn't take this advice and set herself back 2 weeks, it's really  frustrating as my hubby is useless and I see things that need doing and unless I nag he doesn't do it.......men lol lol
    • Posted

Hi Phoebewhite, thank you so much for your advice.  I really do not want to do anything to jeopardise my recovery.  I am my husband's carer so I want to get back to full fitness as soon as possible.  Hope your recovery goes very smoothly, don't look at the jobs to be done, spoil yourself instead.  Warmest wishes Jacqui 
  • Posted

No hoovering but mother-in-law has bought me a gtech sweeper for xmas, its like a carpet sweeper and weighs about 2lb and pulls itself along so i intend using that instead of hoovering, could be an option for you if you really feel the need to hoover, i know i will as have 3 cats and a hubby that leaves dirt in his wake without even doing anything so won't be able to just sit and look at it.
    • Posted

Hi  Neverstaysstill, now that is what I call a very practical solution.  You are a girl after my own heart.  The weight is within limits and as long as there is no pulling as such involved I think you have come up with the perfect solution.  I shall hit Amazon to get one post haste.   Many many thanks.  There is only so many Shih Tzu hairs on a carpet a girl can stand, but definitely do not want to ruin all the good work stitching my bladder back in.  Warmest Wishes Jacqui 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.