Hope these work...

Posted , 4 users are following.

[color=red:4adb85e45d][/color:4adb85e45d] Well, i was originally on Orlistat - which if im honest didnt do a whole lot of good. i had explained to my practice nurse that i was visiting the gym 3 times a week (a mix of cardio and weights) and doing a 5 mile walk on a sunday. i had also dropped my calorie intake and with it my fat intake, snacking unless it was fruit or the occasional kit-kat (my kryptonite), an by occasional i mean on a friday as a pick me up - also went out the window. i was on a months supply and i weighed myself every week, every monday morning to be precise (i still do) after the first week i had lost 3lbs. i should mention at this point that the reason for my visiting the doctors was that i had been exercising for 2 months (starting feb) and by the end of march i had lost 2 lbs, not the result i was looking for, i was told that muscle is 3 times heavier than fat - but that excuse can only be used for so long to explain a lack of weight loss, i can see my muscles becoming more defined (in my arms anyway) and i asked my nurse about the fact that 1lb of muscle burns between 80 - 90 cals a day which apparently is true. So after 1 month my weight had stabalised at 17st 10lbs and no matter how much i didnt eat and how much i exercise it just wouldnt move. so i went back to the nurse and was prescribed reductil (sibutramine) last monday 18th may, they say its an appetite suppressant but it was still hungry all the time, but when i did eat after 2 days of taking these pills i felt fuller faster weighed myself this morning cos i just couldnt wait and ive lost 2lbs. yay go me. HOWEVER, the side effects are a pain i mean i was depressed for about 3 days nothing cheered me up, i was just down all the time, and the nausea and the headaches and the dizziness ugh those on their own made me wanna stop but i kept goin and i done a week so far and all side effects have disappeared. now just gonna work my butt off to lose as much as possible before my hols. Anyone else on these things?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

:D just thought id update this incase anyone did decide to read it. so ive been taking reductil (sibutrimine) for just under 3 weeks now and ive lost around 10.5lbs. thats 3.5lbs a week, im hopin to loose another 10 - 12 lbs in the next 3 weeks cos im going on holiday. all symptoms like sluggishness and unusual depression have gone same with the nausea and diziness. tho still get occasional heartburn and minor mood swings. :P

im so pleased

• Posted

smile hello i have just been on reductil over a week now, my sleep is affected and i have the dry mouth drives me mad lol.i hope these work as i was on orlistat but hated them lol good on u for the weight loss smile
  • Posted

Hi Dawn & Skanky

How are you doing on the reductil? I've been on them since March but not lost a great deal, next weigh in is Wednesday next week so will let you know what the loss is - hoping there will be one that is :lol:

This hot weather is not helping me as I don't feel like exercising and it's too damned hot to sleep, so feeling really tired and unmotivated.

What do you do to exercise?

I'm not sure whether I need the 15mg as I always seem hungry just recently and then get he nibbles and eat the wrong foods - would be goood to know what others snack on.

I'm an ex orlistat taker and do get on much better with these.

Jane

• Posted

Hi All

I'm really interested to know how people are getting on with Reductil. I failed at the Orlistat and have just completed my second day on the Reductil... so far all seems ok... watch this space! x

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Just had a weigh in on Wednesday and only lost 1lb but the nurse has up me to the 15mg dosage to see if that helps. Hoping it will, also seeing an eating disorders physcologist, and that is helping also, although still early days on this one but I'm learning to think before eating and have noted that I am a habit eater - meaning I eat the things at the same time everyday without questioning myself s to if I'm hungry - it is usually only fruit, but when I get home and feel peckish in the evenings I usually ea a couple of biscuits but by keeping a couple of pieces of fruit for late that seems to be helping.

It's the first day on 15mg and can quite honestly say that after my breakfast apart from a coffee and water managed to not eat anything until 12 noon, so I think they must be working.

Good luck to all those on the tabs - think we'll see a few more people coming on them once they realise that Orlistat only works for a period of time and then you plateau.

Have a good weekend.

Jane

• Posted

How is everyone getting on with the Sibutramine??x
  • Posted

Hi Hippolump,

Not too bad and not too good - got my weigh in Monday night which will be the first one since moving up to the 15mg, fingers crossed :lol:

I'm also getting a GP referral to the gym as I've not been doing much and as I have a few back problems would rather do something that I know is not going to cause damage. So hopefully once that starts I might be able to shift some more pounds.

On a friday I have my own weigh in and measurement day and so far since May I've lost 8 1/2lbs and about 10 inches, which I know is slow but as I haven't been exercising I don't think it's too bad.

Also been seeing a physcologist from the eating disorders section and have changed a few things around the kitchen - like putting the biscuit & cake tins in a cupboard so when I go in there I can't see them and that has worked quite well. Also found out that I am a regimented eater in that I eat foods at the same time every day and so now I think before eating and try and wait half an hour and if I'm still hungry will have something but usually I've forgotton about eating in that time and so don't bother. Trying to keep to below 1500 cals a day which has been ok with only the odd slip up.

Are you getting on ok with them? I find them much better than Orlistat and my bowels are a lot better for them :lol:

Will post on tuesday with any losses.

Have a good weekend

Jane

• Posted

How did weigh in go Jane?? x
  • Posted

Hi Hippolump,

Not too good as I only lost 1lb, but as I haven't been exercising I'm not surprised, got my referral for the Gym and go next Thursday for first visit.

Nurse said she'd expect a bigger weight loss next month or she would have to consider putting me back on the 10mg or even taking me off them, but she said if I get exercising then it should improve the weightloss.

Blood pressure has remained 102/70 so I'm grateful for that, although still getting bad headaches and a lot of eyestrain, so considering getting my eyes retested.

Anyone out there know whether they affect the eyes?

Did you get put on these? and if so how are you doing?

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane

I haven't read anything that suggests they effect the eyes... and I have checked NICE guidelines, BNF the lot!!

My first weigh in was last week which was 3.5 weeks after starting the sibutramine.... the results were a 5.5kg loss! I haven't told anyone or written it down because I am scared of cursing myself!! Seem's I have finally found something that is doing something for me??! Hope I haven't spoken too soon....

Back to your eyes, I would def suggest an eye test and make sure you are drinking plenty to avoid dehydration adding to the headaches :-)

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, will get them checked asap.

Well done on your weightloss :magic: , do you exercise?

What have you been eating?

I must say that after not having a period since May - I finally had one in Sept and lo & behold the old chocolate addiction came to the forefront - I'd managed to knock it on the head for quite some time but didn't then and blew a few calories on chocolate !!!! WHY WHY WHY do I have to be addicted to the stuff and not to something healthly?????!!!!!! :cry: :lol: :twisted: :evil: :steam:

I'm hoping that I've got over it now and will banish any thought's of lovely choc out of my head once and for all :lol:

Have a good weekend.

• Posted

Hi Jane

If I'm perfectly honest the exercise has taken a back seat as I am so busy at the moment!!! (oops!)

My appetite has completely changed since being on the tablets... I'm very aware now that I use to eat because I was bored and not hungry. I totally understand the chocolate craving though!!

So far my cycle hasn't changed too much although it does seem to be coming another day later each month... I'm assuming your lack of periods is down to these pills?

• Posted

Hi Hippolump,

Wish it was - it's the menopause for me :wah: :wah:

Jane

• Posted

Sorry... shouldn't make assumptions!! I just know that it's also a side effect of taking the tablets...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.