Hope this helps...!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I used to get cystitis every time I had sex and tried everything from cranberry juice, cranberry pills, salts to drinking my own body weight in water but none of it helped. It's been so bad sometimes that I had blood in my urine and had to be prescribed strong courses of antibiotics countless times. Believe me, I went through years of agony. For the past two years, I have not had one single recurrence because of the following two step process I follow: Firstly, I pee almost immediately after sex (I call this the 'first cleansing'). Secondly, I have a large glass of water and make sure I pee as soon as I can after (the 'second cleansing'). Hardly romantic but it works!! IF you get cystitis after sex, I would really really recommend you try these two basic steps and see if it helps. My friends thought I should share this advice with others so I really hope it helps. Good luck!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

That is great to know. I got cystitus for the first time 3 days ago and never really realised how painful it is. When friends have had it before I sort of dismissed them as making a fuss, but next time they mention it I will be much more sympathetic!

I am off to the doctors today and hope to be able to take a course of antibiotics.

I am going to try your peeing after sex and a glass of water trick - hopefully it will work!

Thank you.

• Posted

I'm glad it works for you. 

I've been doing this too, but now even that doesn't work.

Where's the tissues.....?

• Posted

In my mid 20's I suffered with this so many times (always after sex) and it was horrible. I have a very similar routine to you and I haven't had it for ages. now Here is what I do: I always go to the loo straight after sex, and over the next 24 hours I will drink a soluble 1000mg vitamin C tablet (which I heard makes things more acidic and harder for the bacteria) and later on I always drink 3 glasses of water over the course of an hour, so I go to the loo a few times to keep the bacteria from being able to multiply. I always stay away from sugary drinks (this inlcudes cranberry!!) and alcohol as I think sugar just feeds the bacteria. Really simple but very effective for me. I really hope this helps someone as it used to make me so down suffering with it so regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.