Hopefully helpful

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im onto my 4th week of no venlafaxine, while I have had some good days, today is a bad day so I decided to google and see if I could find some advice. I came across another forum and there was a success story from 2010 and people are still commenting on it, so I read through quite a lot of the replies, and I thought I would share on this site as I have found everyone to be so helpful here. As im sure everyone is aware the withdrawal symptoms seem to be almost the same for everyone and from what ive read on other forum, omega 3 seems to be the best thing to use, I bought omega 3 right at the start but to be honest I kept forgetting to take it and when I did, I only took 1 capsule a day as that's what it says on bottle. But all these other people have been taking 3 a day, sometimes more and they say it's working wonders! That, along with vitamin b complex, really seems to help, so I thought I would share here in hope that it will help others!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've also been taking just one  omega 3 as it says on the bottle but will do a bit more reading about this (i.e. to check you can't take too much etc!!) but will then probably up it!! Thanks again smile
  • Posted

Also...what time of day to people tend to take their supplements? Is morning or evening better?
    • Posted

Seems to be people taking them in morning then throughout the day when they feel they need them
    • Posted

Oh...so they feel that they have a really immediate effect on mood?
    • Posted

Sounds like it, and I have to admit, I felt horrendous earlier on, I took an omega 3, a vitamin c, an iron tablet and a vitamin b complex and I felt better soon after 
  • Posted

I withdrew from Venlafaxine over 10 months, and that way I did not get any withdrawal symptoms.  I had once before done it cold turkey, but this time wanted to take it slowly.  I have always taken Omega 3, multivitamins and minerals, and B complex all the time I was taking anti depressants.

It is 15 months since I stopped the anti depressant and I find I need to take the supplements to feel better.  Maybe it is placebo, I don't know.  I do know I tried stopping and felt "down."  I take Kalms tablets too.  Supposed to take them for a short period, again, could be that I hope they work, but I guess I will take all these supplements if my mind and body think they work.

I have only ever taken one tablet of Omega3 1000 mgs a day.  What is the recommended dosage, as the capsules can come in different strengths? 

Glad it is helping you.  Do you think I ought to up my dosage of Omega3?

• Posted

On the omega 3 bottle I have, it does say 1 capsule per day but yesterday i took one in morning and one in evening and I definitely felt better! Do u get kalms over the counter in chemist? 
    • Posted

I am reading a book called Optimum Nutrion For The Mind and it is full of ideas for taking supplements.  I have just taken 2nd Omega 3 to see how I feel.  Kalms and also Quiet Life tablets from chemist or  health food shop.
    • Posted

My omega 3 say to take one a day...they are 650 mg, but i've looked up some others which are a higher dose (1000mg) and they also say one per day so i guess it depends on the dosage. 
    • Posted

Mine are 1000mg and im taking 2 a day, it does seem to be helping 
  • Posted

THANKS! (I havent taken anything extra / less since oct 25th)

But I note that my recent blood test showed that I was down in B12 so your comments may confirm, that O3 and Bcomplex is the way to go!

Well done1

• Posted

I get my blood work done tomorrow . It will be interesting to see how it comes out. I stopped taking my usual vits because my stomach has been upset. Meet to start up again. 

Again thanks 

This group of comments has been very helpful to my sanity coming off this drug. 

Thanks everyone!!

• Posted

I am 4 weeks off V. I have had 3 good days . I still have minor brain zaps and buzzing in my ears. I seem to notice these symptoms whe I haven't eaten an in the morning when drinking my coffee. The day after my last dose my husband bought me tryptophan.....(you can't take tryptophan when on anti depressants!!)which  produces  seratonin , which we need to keep up when coming off of these antidepressants. Started working out again and going to counsellor to help me with coping skills. Just waiting for the shoe to drop. My husband keeps telling me NO SHOE. I was on the quest for stories of others that have been off this drug and found some very encouraging stories. But I am usually on my phone and can't copy and paste, they are very long but very good and proved to me it can be done!! 

KEEP ON WORKING AT IT , FIGHT IT & WE WILL BE FREE of V!!

Thanks for input!! I've tried B complex didn't seem to help. I'm going to get the omega 3 thanks again

• Posted

Its great to hear the success stories , it give hope to some of us that it can be done
    • Posted

Im now onto 6th week without Venlafaxine, the omega 3 and vitamin b seem to be helping, I still get some brain zaps but only seem to be when im tired. I am suffering a bit with anxiety and have been taking kalms for about a week now, not sure yet if they are helping as it says on bottle it takes 2-3 weeks to kick in, but they sure knock u out lol! I used to wake up at the slightest noise but now I'm sleeping through everything! Don't hear hubby or daughter get up for work, didn't even hear postman knocking at door!! So if anyone's having trouble with sleep these might be worth a try!
    • Posted

Hi gillybean.  It is 16 months since I stopped Venlafaxine.  Been on anti depressants for over 20 years.  This is the longest I have been without medication.  Whilst on anti depressants I took Omega3, multivitamins and minerals, and VitaminB complex.  Recently started VitaminD too.  Take Kalms also.  I am doing well. 

I wish I could sleep.  Started taking Quiet Night tablets but they did not help me sleep only made me feel drugged and unable to function next morning. Kalms are Ok for me, do not knock me out. I Try them at night but still problems sleeping.

• Posted

Hi Anne, sorry ur still having problems sleeping, just goes to show that what can work for one person doesn't mean its gonna work for someone else! Does the kalms help u for anxiety?
    • Posted

Would a short dose of Sleep tablet get the body back in sync ? I have found after 3 weeks of poor sleep a few days  to get of sleeping tablets allows my body to get back in sync.

• Posted

Ok just be careful with the herbal remedies too, someone I know used Niacin supplements and was pretty nauseas and end up in a big panic when she got flushed too, by overdosing. At the end of the day you just need to be really careful, we all want to be well and some of the supplements (which to me are just unlicensed drugs) can have there own complications too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.