Hopefully third time lucky with antibiotics!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went back to see my GP today after been on two lots of antibiotics nitrofuantoin, the first course 3 days and the second course 7 days, which did nothing to cure my uti.

My GP was surprised they hadn't worked and said they should have done, so he's sending off another urine sample, is going to do blood tests for diabetes, and has put me on another weeks course of antibiotics called Selexid. If they don't work he will get a referral to see a urologist. I just hope the antibiotics work.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I suggest you immediately start taking probiotics, especially since you have already had so much antibiotic. It sounds silly but the antibiotics kill the good bacteria along with the bad. So it's very hard for everything to normalize again. Also drink a bottle of kombucha a day(you should start getting immediate results)they sell it in the refrigerated area usually for health. It doesn't taste the best but does wonders. If the pain is very severe I would suggest also taking Azo until the probiotics have had time to help. If you do not have access to this or you must order it then you can drink 8 oz of water with 1 tsp of baking soda. It will relieve some of the pain.

• Posted

Hi, I agree with what cristie says. All those antibiotics will be no good for your gut. I'm surprised, you haven't got thrush!!

?Is this you suffer with on a regular basis, or is this a 'one off'??

?Do you get cystitis?

?I, would recomend drinking cranberry juice and of course drink mass's of water.

Preferably, filtered or bottled.

?We can become, antibiotic dependant.  And then they don't work. 

?I used to get cystitis at least every 2 weeks. So, painful. They investigated my bladder and it was all just scars.

I, took antibiotics for 6 months. And that was many years ago, and I haven't had it since.

?I like to use natural things as much as I can now.

• Posted

Hi,

I haven't had a uti for 8 years.

The last one I had I was given

Antibiotics which cleared it

Straight away. I don't have

Thrush thank goodness! But I do drink smoothies everyday which I make myself packed

With

Yogurt, blueberries, spinach,

Strawberries, bananas, so

Maybe that's stopping the

Thrush! but I will get some

Probiotics.

The issue I've got is heaviness

In my bladder, and waking at

Night

Needing the toilet. I don't have burning when I go to the loo.

I'm getting my bloods tested

On Wednesday, and got

Another appointment with my

Doctor Thursday, to get a

Referral to see a urologist. I

Finish the antibiotics Thursday. I'm hoping I'll be better by

Then!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.