Hoping for a Cure

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I am a 52 year old female who was diagnosed with Barretts approximately 7 years ago.  After staying on Nexium (40mg per day) for 1 year and omitting the food and drinks (alcohol, chocolate and coffee) that probably aggravated the condition, my doctor said I have the condition under control. I have gone for repeated scopes since then and they all came back fine. After those results, I stopped all medication.   In 2014, I skipped two years and just took one in December 2016 and found out I had it back. I couldn't believe it.  I blamed myself for not continuing with the previous diet I mentioned.  As of January, I am again taking 40 mg per day of Nexium, Zantac at night, and Gaviscon liquid as needed.  It has gotten better, and so has my attitude and feelings about this condition.  I am continuing to research what else I can do, as these proton pump inhibitors might have long term effects. I am also looking into surgery that will tighten the sphincter.  Being positive and proactive is helping, but wish they had a pill to cure this, as I do wish for other conditions more serious than mine. Just looking for any other suggestions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Feel your frustration. I am on Nexium 40mg, twice a day - and Zantac 20mg at night, and Gaviscon on ocassion. Yes, the medication does help - but the long term effects of PPI's are starting to surface in the medical community. Long term use may lead to chronic kidney disease and other diseases like demetia and alzheimers disease. I am not a doctor, just what I read in the medical news. I beleive, my long term use of Nexium  (10 +) years has led to my lower back vertebrae issues, and other joint issues. These drugs have a tendency to block the absorbtion of magnesium, calcium and other trace minerals in the body - and your bones need these to stay strong. Another vitamin, b12 can also be depleted from what my doctor tells me. Zantac is not a PPI, so I dont beleive there are issues with that drug.

The success of the current operations are still out. There is the Nissen fundiplication, LINK (uses titianium magnets sewn into the lower esophageal sphincter, that keeps the reflux from coming up). There are good stories, and horror stories with both these operations.

But with all operations, the risk of failure is "high" and you could be worse off than you were before. Sad.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for responding. Sorry you are going through this also. When I was 45 and first diagnosed. I took the medications for one year and stayed off of them till recent. The fear was exactly like you stated - the vitamin depletion, bone issues etc. I eat pretty healthy and exercise, but at present just looking to have the pain subside. I'm learning the new foods that bother me. Once I get those under control, I will look into more holistic things. Wondering if anyone has ever tried diglycerinared licorice, slippery elm or digestive enzyme pills.

• Posted

Hi Deborah. I have been on PPIs for over 20 years now and take 40mg omeprazole (I take Losec MUPS). I had the surgery you have mentioned 10 years ago which helped enormously with the daytime reflux. However, because my sphincter completely relaxes when in a deep sleep, I still get nocturnal reflex which is why I am still taking the PPIs. The only side effect I get, to date, with the PPI is itchy skin for which I take an antihistamine - in my case Cetirizine. On the diet front I find grains, wheat in particular, can exacerbate the reflux and I cannot eat red meat, chocolate or cooked tomatoes. There may be something you eat regularly that might be making it worse. It's worth going on an elimintaion diet to see which foods trigger it. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Lucinia for sharing your story. And sorry that you still have the pains that go along with this..As I mentioned in the response earlier, being aware of the side effects of Nexium over long-term use and having others smaller issues like arthritis and low vitamin B over the years has concerned me.I am looking into more holistic methods, before I go toward the surgery. It is a complete life change for me and over the past month have lost 12 pounds. (As I was never overweight.) I also am on sabbatical after teaching 21 years. This time has allowed me to take better care of myself. Sounds crazy, but my only concern is that I will be starting at 52 taking these medications. I wish you the best and please keep me posted if anything new arises that might help. As I will also .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.