HOPING FOR IMPROVEMENT

Posted , 5 users are following.

My first post here and I am comforted to read there are so many out there with the same problems. I was beginning to think there was something really wrong with me. I was always very confident and outgoing until my partner comitted suicide two years ago and I think, although it has been pretty unbearable, it has only just really 'hit' me and I am panicky and anxious all the time, very lonely too. Doctor has given me 50mg Sertraline, only taken three days so far, although I had been on Seroxat/Paroxetine a few years back.. That was different though, for low mood, this time I have terrible anxiety, palpitations and break out in sweats. Hoping things will level off soon and I will be back to my old self again. I don't like this person I am now :-(

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your loss there simon. Such an event will cause your whole body and mind to go through so many  challenging things in grief. You may not want to but may I recommend you find an excellent Hynotherapist that  will accept you for a series of sessions to enable you to work through your grieving that seems to be manifesting itself? I can guarantee you it will be a roller coaster as I have done just this, however I had bottled up my feelings since 1973 when my young motehr died. I did not grieve well at the time, I just sort of locked my feelings away, as I did when my dad died in 87.  This resulted in me becoming very scared indeed a few years back when i though i was going to die! From then on I've had an awful time  and last year took me to depths of anxiety, panic and low mood that I have never encountered before. I'm still using my Hypnotherapist as medication just dulls the symptoms and helps me control panic to a degree. The sessions give me opportunities to face up to all the stuff stored up from the past and strategies to help me understand what has been and will be happening in my body and mind. 

Apologies for the sermon but give it a go. I am sure you will not regret it.

All the very best to you. Please do not be like the old fashioned me and keep the stiff upper lip etc. That does no one any good.

This time next year you will see your 'old self' and despite being sad at times you will move on in your life.

Blessings.

• Posted

I agree...seeing a therapist/counsellor is a good idea, its helped me a lot alongside the meds. Its helped me take control of the situation and use CBT strategies to minimise the frequency and intensity of the anxiety.
    • Posted

Thank you Philip, I appreciate your words and thoughts. Yes, I think sometimes we do bottle it up and try to be strong as breaking down is often seen as a sign of weakness. To add to my grief my mother died only five months after my beloved partner, she was 94 and had been poorly for a long time so was expected but still not easy. I sometimes think, and my friends say too, that I am being a little hard on myself and should not try to be so 'strong'. They do say that depression is not a sign of weakness but it's that one has been strong fo too long. I think there is a ring of truth in that. I'm hoping you are right and that next year, or sooner, I shall be back to something like normal.

Bless you.

• Posted

The Princes' statements recently have shed a lot of good light onto Mental Health issues and how we do or do not deal with them. That can only help along with certain high profile people in the worlds of sport and entertainment. It should help people understand us better?

Phil

• Posted

Hi Simon, so sorry to hear your sad story, no wonder it has affected you with anxiety. I also suffer with anxiety disorder which crept upon me gradually over the past couple of years, as well as palpitations which i still find terrifying.

Ive been on sertraline since New Year and upped to 150 mg a month ago. Every time i upped I got side effects, dizziness, increased anxiety for 3 weeks. On 150 im better more of the time tho i still get the odd PA, usually related to health anxiety, palps or chest discomfort generally worries me. But compared to new year when i was having looping panic attacks keeping me awake all night terrified, im so much better, mostly sleeping well again and not waking with crippling anxiety. I also take beta blockers which stop full on panic attacks in that i dont get the adrenalin affect on the heart, just jeans the PAs are milder and pass quicker, less fear involved. Might be worth considering? When i first started sert i felt terrible for 3 weeks then settled, but thankfully upping the dose bit by bit has never been as bad as those 1st 3 weeks! So hang in there, things do improve, and youre not alone.

• Posted

Halfway through my fourth week on 50mg (my Doc initially gave me two weeks supply but has now given me enough for two months) Feeling a little bit better, the major improvement is that I am sleeping through the night, maybe 5/6 nights out of 7. However, I still feel highly anxious on waking and it takes a while to get myself out of bed and face the day. I have palpitations, flushes and, strangely, cold feet. I'm hoping this will improve in time and have set up some conselling too.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your loss. You seem to benefitting from the Sertraline and I would give it a bit more time. Hopefully the bereavement counseling will help.
    • Posted

Now into my seventh week and feeling so much better, sleeping and eating well and the morning anxiety seems to have passed too. The counselling is helping as is the summer sunshine. I feel like the old me is returning and I'm enjoying life a lot more cool

My advice to anyone who is struggling is,'have faith and persevere'. 

• Posted

Hi Simon, glad your sleeps improved, that's a good start. I was the same,waking straight into anxiety. Has your doc said you can increase? I increased by 25 each time and have clicked on 150, though I felt the benefit of each dose increase. The downside was extra anxiety and dizziness each time I upped but side effects calmed after 3 weeks of upping. I would up to 75 (the tablets snap) for a couple of weeks then 100 and give that a good few weeks and take it from there. Are you working? If not its best to keep busy through this side effects period even if its just pottering at jobs around the house. Its taken 5 mths to feel good but once it happens it makes the first few months worth it. You will get through it and feel well again if you stick with it x

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm not surprised that you're going through Anxiety. You've made the right decision by seeking help and taking medication. Anxiety is awful and when you have panick attacks and palpitations it's very scary.

I agree with the comments here about seeing a therapist. I would also say to do a lot of walking and possibly listen to hypnosis at home.

When starting these meds you will get the side affects but it's only for a few weeks. When that settles you will start to feel a little better each day.

Keep your head up and take care. God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.