Hoping for some advice on starting this / side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all - I have been prescribed Topiramate off label by my Psychiatrist in the UK after gaining 3 stone as a result of taking Mirtazapine and being very overweight. I was prescribed Mirtazapine for an episode of severe insomnia two years ago but have struggled to get off it - I am trying! I tried one 25mg Topiramate a few weeks ago but was nervous to take it at night in case it interfered with my sleep (anything that does that is a big no-no for me) so I took it in the morning and was SO drowsy, I couldn't really work or function! After that I didn't take it again but after gaining even more weight I'm now thinking of giving it another go and wondering firstly does the drowsy side effect go away, and secondly a bit of reassurance that I'm ok to take it at night rather than in the morning without it interfering with my sleep? Thanks so much xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi gillian , i take topiramate for prevention of migraines as i suffer really badly and i can relate to the drowsy feeling! for around the first 4/5 days of taking it i took 25mg at night before bed ( i did this as i drive my car to work in the morning and wanted to avoid any potential side effects) i spoke to my doctor about this and was told this was completly fine to do but i to did notice as soon as i had taken the 25mg i was drowsy about 10-15 minutes later then knocked out cold, this thankfully for me did go away after the 4-5 day period and once my dosage was upped too 100mg a day i was then taking 1 in the morning and one at night and i dont have any problems with it affecting my sleep/feeling drowsy but i know lots of people have had different experiences with this, im now struggling a bit though with tingling in my hands and feet ocassionally and

what some people call 'brain fog' it sounds bad but i feel a bit stupid sometimes because my memory recall and my concentration now isnt as great as it used to be so for this reason i am considering seeing if i can lower my dosage, i would suggest giving it a try but only you know your own body so defenitely do what is best for you. Hope all goes well for you.

E

• Posted

Thanks very much for the reply Emma, that's very helpful xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.