Hoping to chart my progress here.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been heavily drinking for 4 years (20 units at the highest point but managed to get down to 14). I had made various attempts to taper off last year which failed. However, last October I did taper off. After that I was alcohol free for a couple of months. Then it began to creep up again but I knew how hard a taper was so I never drank more than 2 days in a row. The drinking amounts then began to creep back up again.

For the last 3 weeks it has gone back up to every day again. I have a lot of experience now through failed attempts as well as my successful attempt at the end of last year. I am hoping to use that knowledge and experience to now make another attempt which avoids the things I did wrong.

The plan is to fix the issues that brought me to this point but before that the alcohol needs to go. Although I would guess I am not addicted to alcohol, in order to avoid any anxiety I have decided a very short taper beginning today. From the 14 units I have been consuming I intend to drop to around 7 tonight, 4 tomorrow night and 2 on Tuesday night and then stop.

Last year I posted on here and struggled with the courage to updated after my first post and deleted my account. This time I would like to update regularly, if not for anything else, to just keep track.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It began as a few beers at home last Friday which was fine as I didn't drink too much. But I repeated again on Saturday and then again on Sunday. Sunday was where I ended up drinking too much.

Since then it has been 12-14 units innthe evening. I haven't tried stopping yet because I was mentally drained from the previous 2 week effort. I'm going to have to have a re-think soon on what to do

• Posted

By doing so what you want to prove? You are keeping track that you taper off the habit and again relapse and when you have some serious health issue, you will count the number that how many times you taper off previously? Life in sobriety will not be the same as life living with substance abuse - believe me it will be much better than previous. Relapse is quite common. But the journey of sobriety is beautiful. Once you over come the drinking habit, you will win the fear.

• Posted

We are all different, and as such deal with life differently.

Not everyone with AUD wants to stop drinking completely for ever. Yes i agree for some people with health issues, drinking is not an option. However, myself included, there are people who just want to drink sensibly eventually.

I would never call the road to sobriety beautiful! Horrendous, horrible, exausting are just a few ways id personally describe it.

I am glad you are happy with a sober life, as indeed are millions of people. For some though, being able to drink sensibly and safely is what they hope to achieve long term.

Both outcomes can be achieved, but require hard work and effort. There is no magic pill to achieve this. However, medication does work for many, like me. Whether you chose TSM, which has the highest success rate, far more successful than the AA route. Or an anti craving drug like the one i took, the long term success rate is higher.

• Posted

Recovering from a drug or alcohol addiction can be an extremely challenging task. The fact is, the treatment of addiction is much more than simply quitting the drug. There is no clear-cut ‘end’ to the treatment of addiction. there is no single treatment solution that will work with every type of addiction. Even individuals who are addicted to the same substance might require different

forms of treatment. Families and addicts struggling with the effects of drug and alcohol abuse require continuing addiction recovery in the form of ongoing sessions for spouses, children and parents to attain a successful aftercare. I truly support you JDorian.

• Posted

I am interested in how the road to recovery or sobriety can be 'beautiful' . Is that from your experience? If so what treatment did you have?

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Tell us how you recovered - you will help more than just saying the obvious.

Speaking from the 'I' is far more beneficial than speaking in terms of 'you' this and 'you' that. It might give the poster an idea to try that they haven't previously thought of.

• Posted

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year!

I have re-read what I wrote in this thread over the last couple of months and it makes me cringe because they are the words of an alcoholic that never had any intention of quitting. It was just another of my empty attempts to quit so that I could satisfy myself that I was trying and continue drinking.

It was hard after the relapse. I began to see no way out because drinking wasn't sustainable anymore because I began struggling to just keep up with life.

The levels of drinking went down. I moved over to beer and was probably on 3-4 pints on average but had lower days and some much higher days!

I went on holiday on Boxing day and when I got back on 30th I had my last drink. I decided I just couldn't face this perpetual cycle I'm stuck in anymore because tapers fail and there is no medical help until 2nd Jan at the earliest and I couldn't face anymore drinking.

So 30 Dec was my last drink. I went cold turkey and have been 5 days sober as of yesterday. The cravings have been strong but I have the same conversations in my head everyday and the cravings then go away. Fortunately I only have one strong craving a day and if I beat it I don't really feel the urge anymore for that day. But I keep fighting as I don't want to go back to day zero again.

For now it is just one day at a time. I'm not bothered about tomorrow or the future but getting through today sober and then will deal with tomorrow when it arrives.

Thank you to everyone for the support and input so far.

• Posted

Hi JDorian, well done for 6 days of sobriety! It's the same with me. I went cold as I can't just have one drink, or count them - always end up having too many after the first. Like you I am not a fan of medication, if I can avoid it - plus there are different reviews about all of them. Have a look at Allen Carr's programme, it takes an entirely different approach - a change of mind set if you like. That said, it's just one more way at looking at your relationship with alcohol, so maybe use it in combo with other methods or not. This is your journey, so your choice.

My biggest problem at the moment is insomnia, so hoping that will pass soon but I have no desire to drink at all. Good luck, keep up the good work and take care of yourself that's the most important thing. xx

• Edited

It's been a while but in the end it did not work. I was ashamed that i failed. But instead of making another thread i want to carry on updating this one on a daily/regular basis.

My situation is the same as it was over a year ago when I started this. At the moment I am frustrated as I don't want to drink but still do. Somehow I seem to end up there.

My attempts have not worked. I'm going to need help. So my plan for now is that in the short term I need to focus on cutting down to a level where whisky literally hasn't taken me over. And that to be followed up by the suggestions I received above. I am going to start reading up on what the treatment is and look into how to get it as well as looking into counselling/mental health.

I know this board has gone quite but I am still going to try updating regularly.

• Posted

It's been a rocky road so far. I have reduced my units as follows:

20 units

16 units

14 units

12 units

8 units

The problem is that the anxiety has become crippling. I think that I may have reduced too quickly for yesterday because while I had no urge to have more than 8 units, I barely slept last night as I was very anxious and this morning I woke up with a horrible anxious feeling in my stomach.

Until today I have been in a fog and couldn't think straight. I can do my work well, help kids with home schooling, cook dinner etc and appear fully functional but the amount of effort that is taking has zapped all the energy out of me. Every time I try to look up what I need for treatments I am literally terrified and get really anxious. Today was a bit of a respite in the hangover department as I only had 8 units yesterday, so while I am hungover, its not as bad as it has been due to low consumption.

Every time I try and look online for help I get anxious. Today my anxiety is crippling and even thinking about alcohol/treatment/help is really scary. I'm not sure why this is. I'm trying to think but I can't. From where I was - I am not winning but I am at least fighting as much as I can. The thought of even asking for help makes me breathless with anxiety.

So for now, I am just going to take a pragmatic approach and up my intake by 2 units from yesterday and go up to 10. This is not ideal and too much to be drinking but it is half of where I began. The hope is that this is a reasonable level to hold my alcohol intake for the next few days and hopefully I can see a drop in my anxiety level and the be able to move forward a step.

• Edited

Since I last posted i have now gone 5 weeks to the day with no alcohol. As this thread shows, it has been a very long journey and when i began i did not even understand what the issue has been.

I am both grateful and relieved to have had this respite from alcohol. It has been a rollercoaster. At times it has been amazing and other times have been difficult. But I am progressing with recovery and putting in as much effort as possible.

In addition to the 5 weeks of consecutive no drinking, I also have a further 15 sober days this year which were usually 2 or 3 days of consecutive sobriety.

I am hoping the next time i update it will be positive. But I do intend to update. Although the regular users are no longer here, it was there help when i started this thread that steered me in the right direction so it is only right I continue to update as the help I received here has been invaluable.

• Posted

That's awesome brother! Is your nickname a Scrubs reference? 😄 I made an account just to reply to your thread, and will likely not even use this site again for other purposes. Because your situation sounded just like me, it was really interesting to read the posts as you wrote them, kind of like a timelapse. I really hope you check back in and update us, because it really could help a lot of people who may not be members but just find the forum in a search engine when googling cutting back drinking. Hope to hear good news down the road, but even if not, your honesty relates to many people. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

• Edited

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, it is a Scrubs reference. I could watch that show forever!

It's a tough journey. When I began posting in this I didn't even know what it would take to get sober. All I knew was I wanted to stop but no matter what I did it wouldn't seem to work. But step by step it got better and I found my way to set myself on the journey.

I am doing well. It's a tough process and no alcohol means having to deal with all the stuff that the alcohol used to conveniently mask. Since my last post I did fall into the trap of alcohol again but I have managed to control it and continue to stay more sober than drunk. But it's part of the journey and a learning process and I am still working towards zero alcohol.

If you think alcohol isn't good for you then start the journey. It might not be easy or successful to start with but definitely worth it.

• Posted

You are a star and must be so proud of yourself! You have managed the impossible. Me sober 8 1/2 years and not looking back to my old life. Feel much better as do you! Best of luck. Best regards Claus

• Posted

sorry, for some reason i did not get a notification for this.

I'm still hanging in there. Last year was tough but a journey of discovery and I'm glad i went through it. I'm still not where i want to be but drinking is significantly reduced and I'm alot closer to where I want to be compared to when I started this topic.

• Edited

You seem more in control which is great. Keep trying. You are on the right track.

• Posted

Thanks, Robins.

Back when I started, I thought stopping drinking would fix the problem. I didn't realise how much else was needed because years of drinking had left damage. So it has been more a journey and process but I'm glad I did it. The most important thing for me now is to commit each morning to not drink that day.

• Posted

Great to hear from you and what an achievement! May i ask if you have managed to completely stop?

• Posted

Yes, this attempt has been continued sobriety. Before this run I began in Jan last year and was managing days to weeks with small relapses. At the time it was frustrating but I had to learn by doing during that time so each situation I relapsed in I had to go back to and figure out how to not drink. It took a few months to get to a point where I could navigate through situations without needing a drink.

• Posted

Great being sober i think you will agree since you are in total control of your life! Well done to you. Keep going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.