Hormone blood tests reliable ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello can anyone help again please ! I'm 49 soon and period didn't come this month just spotting and usual migraine and cramps (I usually am very heavy flow with clots for 7 days.last two months heavy flow for 8-9 days followed by brown discharge for a week ! December was a 4 day light period.not many other symptoms apart from hot face now and again and sleep problems.my question is how reliable are these blood tests ?on Monday Dr checked for prolactin testosterone FSH AND LH ? The 1st 2 have come back normal just waiting on other 2.ive heard they're unreliable and I still could be in peri ( I hope I am as this spotting is now 10 days !! ) any advice please.im a worrier and so anxious about this but I'm at that age lol thanks Michelle xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also should Dr have checked for oestrogen and progesterone ? Xx
    • Posted

Hi,

Please try not to worry as what you seem to be experiencing is very typical of peri. I was as regular as clockwork and then my periods wen haywire. I can miss one or two or have two a month! I was ridicously heavy but my gyny put the mirena coil in and once that had settled (took a year) i am still having the same issue re prolonged periods, sometimes they have lasted 5 weeks, but they are now light so much better. I also have the spotting, pink discharge and have to wear a towel daily. I also have a really hot red face at times (what us women have to go through!)

For the heavy periods I was intially prescribed Transamic Acid which did reduce the flow. I also was given Norethisterone which is a progesterone to stop the period going on and on so it might be worth you mentioning this to your DR.

My dr said they dont like to do the hormone tests as they are unreliable and can show the hormones to be normal but in fact you are in peri menopause.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much 😊I have tranexamic acid tablets too for when I have heavy flow but last wed when I was supposed to come on it's been light and still ongoing !!sat and sun night I had a little heavier bleeds with clots both night then back to spotting ! I know it's my period as I get a migraine and cramps just before and this was the same as usual.maybe and hopefully mine have turned light too.do you spot every day now do you mean still ? Thanks so much Michelle xxx
  • Posted

Hi, yes pretty much spot off and on. The norethisterone stops the prolong ness of the period so might be worth asking your Dr. It is so random which I hate but just keep hoping it will stop permanently soon, like you it changes from one day to the next, just wanted to post to reassure you. My dr said that there are always things that can be done so that we don't suffer. I Don't take anything at the moment as i hate taking meds.

good luck 😄

• Posted

Me too and I take enough tablets for my RA as it is.my FSH AND LH came back as not processed as they only do it under aged 45 if think in peri ? How strange so I have no clue now.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.