Hormone Hassle

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay, so i've reached a dead end regarding my PCOS and menstrual periods. I feel completely out of whack and I feel like i've run out of options... I'll give you a quick run down - i've come to a forum as i've seen my GP so many times and gyno and they don't seem to be much help. 

I was put on the contraceptive pill at the age of 16 to deal with extremely heavy, painful menstrual periods which also led to the discovery of PCOS. I was also put on the pill to deal with acne. It took trial and error of various pills until I was put on Yasmin which cleared my skin and regulated my periods. However at the age of 18, I started getting really bad migraines and really bad UTIs. Couldn't figure out why, my GP took me off the pill for a few months and the headaches and water infections went away. The minute I went back on they started again, I also noticed I felt depressed and lost sex drive.

I started seeing a reflexologist who wanted to address my PCOS, she regulated my periods and made me feel 100 times better. However, then came the issue of contraception and also my skin wasn't as great as it was when I was on the pill. So I had the copper IUD fitted as a non-hormonal option... long story short - worst decision ever. My periods knock me out for 2 weeks solid, the pain is awful. I cry and cuddle a hot water bottle permanently, I feel physically sick because the pain is that bad. My mood swings are terrible and my skin is as bad as it was when I was 16. I've tried cutting dairy and gluten, changing my beauty products... nothing works. I'm left feeling deflated not wanting to leave the house and constantly constricting my diet. 

I am now at a dead end. 

I will do anything for clear skin as it makes me so insecure.

I need contraception - I don't want to just rely on condoms.

I need my periods to be less painful as I am started an internship in summer and won't be able to function with the current level of pain (painkillers don't touch it!).

Any advice on what to do? Should I go back on the pill?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You need to go back to the doctors about the pain. There could be other problems going on along side the PCOS or as a side effect of it. If the Pill was making you ill then you should absolutely not go back on it. 

You need to be very persistant with the doctor and if they are not doing anything to help then find another one. Some doctors are a bit crap when it comes to all things PCOS related. Especially male doctors. 

There are plenty of skin treatments that you can get perscribed by a doctor so I suggest you ask them to give you something. It's not fair you have to suffer so much when there are so many other options to help you. There are tablets and creams that can help. A friend of mine is on tablets and a cream to help with severe acne problems. 

I hope this could be helpful for you and I wish you all the best in the future. If you have any other questions or problems please feel free to message me and I will help the best I can. 

Take care 

Cat

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Cat! I went to the doctors re the pain 2 weeks ago, he sent me for bloods which showed low iron and low blood pallets which he didn't know why. Also said he thought I had first stages of fibromyalgia... but nothing more was mentioned on my return appt to discuss bloods.

Back at GP tomorrow, the gyno wants to take a look at the coil and my lady bits, see everything is okay. Going to tell her I want the coil out, just don't know where to go from here?

I'm only 19, I need a good form of contraception. 

Liv

• Posted

I think you should ask again about pain relief. Not very good that they didn't address that even on a temporay bases until they figure out the problem.

Have you thought about having the implant? When I had it, it stopped my periods which was a blessing! I suffererd really bad with cramps and heavy flow because I would go months at a time without a period and when I did it seemed to be making up for the months missed! 

Obviously everyone reacts differently but it may be a good idea to try it. I have never been a fan of the coil as I have heard so many people have problems with it. I don't personally trust it. 

Cat

• Posted

I would say I've had better experience with male physicians regarding my PCOS. It all depends on which doctors have studied hormone disorders and such.

• Posted

I guess I have just had bad luck with male doctors lol. The ones I have seen in the past have been just awful. So unhelpful. The original diagnoses was by a male doctor and he just told me what I had and sent me on my way. No explanation of any kind just that it might cause complications with having children in the future. Since then I have had a world of problems relating to PCOS that I had no clue could happen! 

Luckily I have found a great doctor now. She has been amazing. Extremely understanding and explains everything perfectly so I know exactly what is going on. 

• Posted

That's great you've found a doctor that works for you. I love my doctor too. He has been amazing since my diagnosis, he was encouraging, and when I got pregnant with my son, he was extremely happy and shocked. But with my other issues I have had, he's been there all the way.

That's why I say, I think it's most important to find a doctor that understands PCOS since not all female doctors have a clue, just like not all male doctors know. Some don't specialize in hormone disorders.

• Posted

That's great. Unfortunately I probably won't be seeing as much of my own doctor for a while as i have had to be referred to a gynechologist. 

Lets hope I get another nice doctor smile 

• Posted

Oh, my doctor that manages my PCOS is a gynecologist. Lol

Good luck!!

• Posted

Have you thought about seeing an endocrinologist? They specialize in hormones and might be able to help. I'd look for a doctor that is familiar with PCOS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.